Rabbit hutch as brooder box

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
So I've been using plastic totes as my brooder setup. Fill it with shavings, prop up food/water, give them a brooder plat and cover it all in chicken wire to keep the cats out.
I've been considering replacing this with something else though. Rabbit hutches can be pretty cute and would definitely work to keep the cats out. I could fill it with shavings all the same and hose them out outside whenever I need to do a deep-clean on it. But would it be alright for chicks?

Some examples of what I was looking at. There were more, but I think the 'houses' in them were too small to be useful (too dangerous if any chick got lost/trapped there somehow) and too difficult to clean. These two look manageable though.

Simple raised hutch; https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-rabbit-hutch-dus20208

Two-story hutch; https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ire-mesh-run-and-removable-tray-hanrh0104-gry

I look up brooder boxes online and don't really see much I like. These look cute and a lot more secure than the open-top tubs or cardboard boxes type things I've seen. I think I'd like to have multiple doors to be able to clean out the enclosure or interact with the chicks, having the side door seems like it'd be really great as I don't have to terrify the babies by reaching in from above.
I'd like to be able to use it for 4-6 weeks for up to 20 chicks and keep them indoors during this time before acclimating them to outside.

Some concerns with the first; the metal-wiring looks similar to what you'd see on a dog-crate which I know chicks can squeeze through or get themselves stuck in. It also seems a bit small, and I could see it quickly becoming crowded as the chicks grow. I don't think it'd be able to support as many chicks for as long as I want.

Some concerns on the second; Not sure how well a two-story structure will do for chicks or if they might get caught in any awkward corners. I'm hoping they'd stick pretty close to the heat source until they're older, but I'm not sure they will. Still, if they're inside I should be able to monitor them a bit more easily and they'll make it known if there's any trouble. It does seem a lot heavier / less portable. So I'm not sure I'd be able to take it outside to clean properly if it's in the house like I wanted. Putting it in the barn works too, but I like having them in the house so people are around and able to help me monitor and socialize them.

I do like the 2nd one's structure. Feels less "boring". I feel like a simple tub of shavings isn't a very enriching life and having places to fly to and be able to practice climbing up and down ramps seems like it'd be useful.

Hmm, what do you guys think? I'd really just like a good brooder box I can keep inside and use for years.

Realistically a rabbit hutch isn't big enough for 20 chicks. A single story rabbit hutch design-wise can make for a good brooder though.

My brooder is pretty similar. It's just under 9 sq ft overall so appropriate for 4 chicks up to 8 weeks old (though I integrate very early, so space isn't an issue). The more enclosed area on the left of mine is where I put my heating pad, as the walls provide draft protection.
brood2.jpg

I got a rabbit hutch and am using it as a chick brooder. It’s interesting so far.

33FF5B60-8760-4845-8733-36283CE4B390.jpeg
3204B0CA-16AE-429B-AEE9-846B18DE5227.jpeg

B9EE1109-A65C-49A8-AACD-596F8F636AD6.jpeg
5F19C7B3-AC91-4FAC-906F-6A5C723F4F35.jpeg
C99B62FC-87B7-49B5-BD89-CA2235058866.jpeg
1AF7DA46-C7F2-48A0-8B61-2B4AC8299E2E.jpeg

So;
This has two floors, I’m only using the top floor at the moment. There’s a trap door under where I put the food and water that can be opened if I wanted to give them access to the first floor.
Currently, I’m not sold on the first floor. I’m worried about the chicks getting themselves caught under the floor there and them being more easily reached by curious cats sticking their paws in through the bars.
So top floor will be there home until I figure out how to address those concerns.

This has a pull out tray, haven’t used it yet, but I have high hopes for easy cleaning here.

There are three access doors on the top and three on the bottom.

The wheels are nice, lock in place and make transporting the hutch easy. It’s not a bad weight either, can definitely move this set up as needed.

There is a hide away house the chicks can explore and even get on top of. Being as small as they are they have zero interest in it, but I’m sure they’ll love having a place to jump to when they’re a bit bigger.

There’s a lot of space, hoping it’ll work for as many as I need it for. Currently the chicks aren’t using too much of it, but I’m meant to be getting quite a few more and they do grow fast. Should hopefully last them until they’re a few weeks anyway.

I put up a ‘privacy curtain” around two of the wire walls. The chicks are too large to squeeze through the bars, but I had one keep jumping and trying anyway. I didn’t want her to hurt herself, so the paper walls were added. It works, she’s no longer trying to get out and see the world.
I thought I might have to add it to the third wall, but being close to my own wall she seemed to not be interested in trying to leave through that side at all.

I got a rabbit hutch and am using it as a chick brooder. It’s interesting so far.

View attachment 3058132View attachment 3058131
View attachment 3058133View attachment 3058134View attachment 3058135View attachment 3058136

So;
This has two floors, I’m only using the top floor at the moment. There’s a trap door under where I put the food and water that can be opened if I wanted to give them access to the first floor.
Currently, I’m not sold on the first floor. I’m worried about the chicks getting themselves caught under the floor there and them being more easily reached by curious cats sticking their paws in through the bars.
So top floor will be there home until I figure out how to address those concerns.

This has a pull out tray, haven’t used it yet, but I have high hopes for easy cleaning here.

There are three access doors on the top and three on the bottom.

The wheels are nice, lock in place and make transporting the hutch easy. It’s not a bad weight either, can definitely move this set up as needed.

There is a hide away house the chicks can explore and even get on top of. Being as small as they are they have zero interest in it, but I’m sure they’ll love having a place to jump to when they’re a bit bigger.

There’s a lot of space, hoping it’ll work for as many as I need it for. Currently the chicks aren’t using too much of it, but I’m meant to be getting quite a few more and they do grow fast. Should hopefully last them until they’re a few weeks anyway.

I put up a ‘privacy curtain” around two of the wire walls. The chicks are too large to squeeze through the bars, but I had one keep jumping and trying anyway. I didn’t want her to hurt herself, so the paper walls were added. It works, she’s no longer trying to get out and see the world.
I thought I might have to add it to the third wall, but being close to my own wall she seemed to not be interested in trying to leave through that side at all.
What brand is that, @Melontine? I can't find in in a quick online search. Also, what did you use for heat? I really like that.

Back
Top Bottom