Ready Set Hatch! Set 3/17 Hatch 4/7 - ready now! Hatch-Along

I just set 52 eggs for a couple people :D

6 Basque
10 Basque mix
12 Barred Orpingtons
12 Jersey Giants
12 Dark Cornish!

Welcome!

We just set our current collection. Ended up with no Maran's. She did not want to charge for eggs she was not so sure about.

Ended up setting

6x SP Wyndottes
4x Australorp (chance of black's or blues)
2x Barnevelders.

Waiting to hear back about the Araucana's to join in later in the week.

Here we go!

Welcome!!! That looks like a great batch of eggs. Ben - is SP silver pencilled? Whoohoo! Yes, here we go!

Yes Mrs Wright! We were after Laced too, but she was broody and her Golden's were in their second week of laying so she did not want to give those up yet either.

Jealous of those dark brown Maran's in your batch!

Had some action already! Taken from our 'adventure page' I just updated. There is more info there on other stuff if anyone is interested.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ns-the-highs-the-lows-and-pics-of-our-journey

So we picked up our next dozen, low on Barnevelders (Nature getting in the way of my birthday plan!) so we topped up the order with two more SPW.

Had the incubator running sweetly for a few days now.

Just before I closed it up the other day for it's final practice run, I added some vinyl tube to the wood poles on the egg turner. Never tested it again in motion. A quick test fit our our eggs was all.

Well, lesson learned there. The vinyl gripped the eggs, and when our new dozen went in and the egg turner moved, it rode up over the eggs. AHHHHHHHHHH

Stripped it out, cut away the tubing and set it all back up again.

First turn worked, second one rode over the top of the eggs again, concern now. I built this so I don't have the stress of turning eggs, and now it looks like we will be turning them again.

On removal, we noticed that the paint it was coated in was soft, and also gripping the egg surface. Armed with a file and sand paper I removed all the paint in the contact area, nice and smooth. Put it all back together.

got 3 runs from it this time and it rode up again, PANIC! The I realised that we were now working with some smaller eggs, the SPW were smaller than the ones I used from our Isa Brown to make the frame. Te smaller eggs were sitting too low, and acted as a ramp for the frame.

5 minutes with a circular saw fixed it. Not a pretty job but it lowered the frame height so the little divider poles pushed the eggs well below the egg center line of the smallest SPW eggs. The bigger ones rolled easily already.

Back in action. Eggs set in time, came up to temp nicely, humidity has settled back down to 52%.

Watch and wait.

Last edited:
Lol- you're very daring making a serious change so close to setting! I was admonished by my family for even sitting near the incubator for the last week :) My daughter says it's running perfect - leave it alone. I have mine on turners - manual ones, but it saves opening the top throughout the day.
Hokankai - are there a few olive eggs in there?

Hi all I have 4 (every 3 days some in lockdown til 5 april)in lockdown today and starting to prepare for 6 april. I want to put in 210 at once too see what happens.. Strongs for everyone

Back
Top Bottom