Real temp lows hitting -18.

way too cold and even if they survive it’s very uncomfortable for them

:confused: Ducks do survive in the wild.....even here and places colder. I doubt anyone is running pond de-icers, heaters or even providing them feed.

I just checked on everyone. Standing air temp outside coop -7, inside coop is reading 0. The sun is out a bit and hits the south and east walls.

Ducks are staying inside but look comfortable enough.

Chickens....well they are weirdos. They are scratching around in the runs like it is just another day.

I know, I know. Ducks are tough BUT this is insanely cold.

The group is 7 welsh harlequin ducks just under a year old.
The coldest will be tonight so added heat would be for just today, tonight and shut off tomorrow by noon.
The coop is a 5x8 walk in structure.

I have sealed oil space heaters and can secure one so they cannot touch it IF I end up caving and putting one in there.

Yesterday I noted 2 females limping a bit. The feet look ok so :fl that they don't end up showing damage in the coming week.

Your thoughts on these insane temps would be appreciated.

It's crazy I am even thinking of adding heat since I am always saying not to. :hmm
The weather here is also projecting to get down to around -20F, with a possible wind chill of -35F. As of now, I don't plan on providing any supplemental heat, but I do plan on locking the coop doors up during the day and will add a thick layer of bedding to help ensure everyone stays warm. If I go out there and find any birds particularly acting cold, or hypothermic, I will likely set a heat lamp inside, but I doubt that will be the case.

way too cold and even if they survive it’s very uncomfortable for them
An erroneous assumption.

I have reached by this date the bottom of my tolerance with winter. We’re at 22F, not too bad, but we already have 3 feet of snow and ice that has not melted or subsided. We’re expecting another 10-13” overnight. I always worry about my ducks, but they really do fine, and I work hard to keep fresh water, good food to them, and clean their barn every day.

my DH says I’m too grumpy in winter, and that I should find some joy in the Winter. (This from the guy who never goes outside.) if he ever tells me again that winter makes you appreciate spring, I’ll have to throttle him.

I'm also in Canada where our current night temperatures are -20 (c). My ducks have a wood coop with an attached outside run. I have been using the deep bedding method and everyone seems fine. There is a little ducky door to the run which I open every morning, and use to close them into the coop at night. Their food and water is only provided in the run. They seem perfectly happy coming out and dozing in the sun during the day. I do have to take out water in the morning, again after lunch, and bring in the water containers each night to thaw.

I have reached by this date the bottom of my tolerance with winter. We’re at 22F, not too bad, but we already have 3 feet of snow and ice that has not melted or subsided. We’re expecting another 10-13” overnight. I always worry about my ducks, but they really do fine, and I work hard to keep fresh water, good food to them, and clean their barn every day.

my DH says I’m too grumpy in winter, and that I should find some joy in the Winter. (This from the guy who never goes outside.) if he ever tells me again that winter makes you appreciate spring, I’ll have to throttle him.

I am extremely fortunate we are not dealing with deep snow.
I think if we had feet of snow I would be rather grumpy too.

I'm also in Canada where our current night temperatures are -20 (c). My ducks have a wood coop with an attached outside run. I have been using the deep bedding method and everyone seems fine. There is a little ducky door to the run which I open every morning, and use to close them into the coop at night. Their food and water is only provided in the run. They seem perfectly happy coming out and dozing in the sun during the day. I do have to take out water in the morning, again after lunch, and bring in the water containers each night to thaw.

We are sitting at -3F right now. I was relieved to watch them file down the short ramp from the coop.

They are all moving well and looking good.

Yeah.....but we are talking 70 degrees colder than that.
That's what I'm saying; when you're 'relived' to see them come down the ramp in the morning, you clearly had reservations about leaving them in such an extreme temperature.
I'm sure that my Shepherds could have slept in that shed together and been alive in the morning.
Would I do that?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom