Real temp lows hitting -18.

It appears the majority of people who choose to provide supplemental heat do so because either they feel cold, or they see other animals such as dogs cold in the weather. Anatomically, birds and ducks are built to deal with cold weather. Possessing thousands of feathers, having a counter-current heat exchange in their legs enable them to deal with cold weather much better than humans or dogs.

Risks are apparent not providing heat and providing heat, it is up to the owner's best judgment to decide which one is the best. Use your best judgment and decide which route you wish to go, but don't persistently force the opposing idea on someone even though they disagree.

Looking out at my birds there is no apparent reason to provide heat as they all appear to be in good health. If I see a bird looking particularly cold (fluffed-up, shivering, etc) I will start providing heat, but I yet to see that, and I doubt I will.

I closed the coops about half an hour ago.
Everyone is moving well, no shivering and they ate well. The feed dish of dry food holds 8-9 cups of feed. There was maybe a full cup left.

All the birds are in their respective coops.

Some say the birds huddle together when it is cold. I haven't seen that here ever. They are all spread out. Chickens with space between them and ducks in individual spots in their house.

I had fluffed the bedding today after they all came out on their own.

The worst thing I’ve dealt with in this cold so far when it comes to the ducks, is the calls being too lazy to either drop their legs to stand or lift their tails to poo, so they poo on their tails and then wind up dragging poopsicles with them for the rest of the day. 🙄 the standard ducks have never done this but the calls are new to me this winter. Lol. They otherwise seem fine, I think they’re just too close to the ground! 🤦‍♀️
@Isaac 0 makes many sound points as usual. :)

thousands of feathers, having a counter-current heat exchange in their legs enable them to deal with cold weather much better than humans or dogs.
... it is up to the owner's best judgment to decide which one is the best. Use your best judgment and decide which route you wish to go, but don't persistently force the opposing idea on someone even though they disagree.
I completely agree, but need to add, that even though they do have lovely winterizing, they can still get frost-bite. I have frost-bite on my feet, and tips of fingers and it is very touchy even as a human who can speak about pain and get treatment. I really don't want to have to deal with it on birds, it would be too hard. Sometimes I just err on the side of their comfort instead. I am careful to make sure it is not too warm, but there is a place they can gather that is warmer than the rest of the coop. If they are all huddled there, I know something is up, an when they are all just walking around everywhere I feel good.

that is love: turn down service for ducks ;)

do you leave a single mealworm in gold-foil on the bedding too ?

what a lovely life to be your duck!

HAHAHAHA.....no. No foil wrapped mealworm.
I fluff it up because they compress it so well. Normally I do that first thing in the day. Today it had to wait. I did not want them forced into going out if they felt like staying in.
I completely agree, but need to add, that even though they do have lovely winterizing, they can still get frost-bite. I have frost-bite on my feet, and tips of fingers and it is very touchy even as a human who can speak about pain and get treatment. I really don't want to have to deal with it on birds, it would be too hard. Sometimes I just err on the side of their comfort instead. I am careful to make sure it is not too warm, but there is a place they can gather that is warmer than the rest of the coop. If they are all huddled there, I know something is up, an when they are all just walking around everywhere I feel good.

Frost bitten feet would be my biggest concern with duckies.

@Pollo Blanco ..I... don’t see how this is helpful? The OP expressed concern because the temps were much lower than their ducks have been used to and was looking for a bit of reassurance from those who are in a similar situation... It is sometimes harder to tell with poultry than it is with dogs or cats, when they’re truly cold... but they generally seem to know what they can and can’t handle. Giving them the option to choose is usually sufficient.

I haven’t used supplemental heat for my ducks at all. They have their draft free but ventilated house, a pen with a windbreak, and deep bedding. No issues whatsoever, but if I had obvious signs of them being “too” cold, I’d provide them with something to adjust that, without going overboard.

and, just to bring in a bit more perspective from over here in the North... my shep/husky dog spend every moment outside if at all possible, by her choice. She wears her coat in the -40 or lower overnights on my insistence, but beyond that, she’s totally fine. It’s much worse for her coming into even the unheated porch, and then going back out, because the temp difference is just too radical. She’s never been a house dog... every situation is going to be different. :)
@Pollo Blanco ..I... don’t see how this is helpful? The OP expressed concern because the temps were much lower than their ducks have been used to and was looking for a bit of reassurance from those who are in a similar situation... It is sometimes harder to tell with poultry than it is with dogs or cats, when they’re truly cold... but they generally seem to know what they can and can’t handle. Giving them the option to choose is usually sufficient.

I haven’t used supplemental heat for my ducks at all. They have their draft free but ventilated house, a pen with a windbreak, and deep bedding. No issues whatsoever, but if I had obvious signs of them being “too” cold, I’d provide them with something to adjust that, without going overboard.

and, just to bring in a bit more perspective from over here in the North... my shep/husky dog spend every moment outside if at all possible, by her choice. She wears her coat in the -40 or lower overnights on my insistence, but beyond that, she’s totally fine. It’s much worse for her coming into even the unheated porch, and then going back out, because the temp difference is just too radical. She’s never been a house dog... every situation is going to be different. :)
Just sharing what I saw my ducks doing when they had a 100 watt heater available.
Do as you see fit for your ducks, and I will do what I see fit.

Not providing a heater for my ducks is for the same reason I don't heat my barn. Yes my horses get very furry in the winter time. That's how they adapt. I think it is healthier for my animals to not have to cope with the change from heated area to the freezing outdoors where they spend their days.
My ducks can choose to lay under the heater, or lay away from it.

Just because a homeless person is sleeping under a concrete bridge doesn't mean that it's their first choice.

My ducks chose the heater.

Back
Top Bottom