Really awful question... regarding animal buriel

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
Okay if you opened this thread, then you have an idea what its about. Last March (16 months ago) we had a very beloved arab mare put down. We buried her under her favorite tree. Hole was dug had a guy we had do some work for us including flattening out (scraping ) ring.
I was not there for the burial part. So this was NOT the guys usual thing. He REALLY mounded the dirt over the grave as DH and he THOUGHT it would sink with time. Well it has somewhat , but I still have a pretty good mound, And it is much farther out into our riding area.

So my question is can I have it flattened now? or will it continue to sink? I dont want to flatten it out and then have a bowl. Anyone? TIA.

Give it some time. It takes a while for the body to decompose and you can remove a bit of the mound. Fortunately I never had any horses to be buried or died on me but had friends that did suffer a loss or two.

hugs.gif

So it will take more time for the body to decay? I had it in my head that it would be a year, but that was NOT based on anything but my thought.

I think you may want to wait another 6-12 months so that the seasons have another cycle and chance to do things naturally. After that then I would level it out myself. Sometimes it takes dirt a while to settle and a body to decompose, especially if there has been nothing on top. You my find that if you try to level it now when it has been worked over you may have a dip in the ground. Sorry about your horse
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thank you that is very helpful.

After 30 years in horses it wasn't the first horse I had to put down, but it was the HARDEST as I had to help dd then 12 and ds then 7. DD just did NOT want to let go as it was her first horse and the first time she had a loved animal put to sleep.

I did what had to be done and was with her till the end, But I can just NEVER watch as they are put in the hole. DH and this guy took care of that. Seeing the mound isn't so great AND we are planning on giving her a statue/headstone and it must be flat for that.

Quote:
WOW okay thanks, I would guess longer for the horse. I just had it in my head that a year would be enough, guess not.

Back
Top Bottom