really BIG crop

Do you put the ACV is the water as a daily treatment for adults? My girls are 23 weeks old. I'm still quite new to this and if this is a preventative measure, I would like to use it. Thanks so much for all this great information - I learn something every time I come to this site. It is the best!
big_smile.png

tshowell... I have not been good at doing this, but some folks here DO use it regularly in the water. I keep telling myself that I am going to start doing it, but always forget!

They say it also cuts down on algae growing in the water container. Used cannot use a metal waterer though if you are going to use Apple Cider Vinegar... it will corrode.

I wasn't sure where to post this. I decided here, despite this thread being old, because it's the one that saved my hen.

Saturday, after a week of late nights at school (I'm a full-time grad student), I was out with the chickens letting them get some much-needed outdoor time and I noticed the boss hen, Daisy, was very lethargic. After much research, my DH and I concluded it was sour crop. One of the new waterers had leaked during the week and I didn't catch it when I was checking on the flock at night. I'm guessing the wet shavings in the coop were the culprits that got Daisy sick. Luckily, none of the other birds show any sign of problem. And trust me, I examined each and every one.

We began following Miss Prissy's advice from this thread. Daisy showed improvement by Sunday. This morning (Tuesday) she jumped to her feet when I went to her first thing. Her crop feels normal and she's clucking away as she walks about the pen we built for her. Her stool is still loose, though, so I'm keeping her inside for another couple of days as I ease her toward a normal diet.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help. I'm not on the forum much, because homework, DH, cat, and chickens consume most of my time. But it's nice to know I've got everyone here to look to when things go awry. If she could talk (or type, for that matter), I'm sure Daisy would express her thanks, too.
D.gif

Deanne

I am doing searches to help me figure out what is wrong with my 11 month old hen...

This was very helpful, but I wish I had read it sooner...

Today a friend came over (who knows a bit about chickens) and suggested that we look in her beak for obstructions--while checking she threw up a bit of foul smelling greyish liquid. He tipped her forward a bit and at least a cup (maybe more) came spilling out! She's very bloated. She is not eating, only drinking water with Avia Charge in it (added today). She walks around a bit, but then stands with her feathers ruffled a bit and closes her eyes.

The other hens/roo are not picking on her or bothering her in any way. She's in the coop tonight up on the roost.

She had a runny, super light green poo yesterday.

She's a standard barred rock.

I do not have any ACV right now and they are asleep.

How long can they have this?

If I bring her in tomorrow, should I heat the cage in the garage? Am concerned to get her used to warmth, only to then go back into the unheated, insulated coop (32-38 degrees at night).

It's hard to be a newbie with these situations. I will feel terrible if she dies tonight when I could have helped her...if I only knew...

She also has on a hen saver apron which works great! Her feathers on her back (small spot bare from the giant cochin roo) are growing back in!

Any help??

Thanks all!

i have read some more threads and it looks like my hen has a pendulous crop, too. it hangs down.

If she dies, will all that fluid come out and be hazardous to the rest of the hens? I hope she doesn't as she is one of my favorites...

will it be helpful to keep acv in the water always to prevent sour crop in the future?

Yikes...

Thanks for your help!

Gee Penske...I don;t know about pendulous crop.... make sure to massage it to help move things along. I hope that your hen will be OK.

Hi all,

She made it through the night. She's still in with the others. They are not bothering her at all. I have ACV in both waterers (in and out) I did 1tsp/quart. She ate some spaghetti squash, which surprised me as I did not see her eat yesterday. Her comb is darkened, she stands with ruffled feathers. Her crop is squishy and about the size of a baseball. She is puffy though like the picture of the silkie that someone posted with a penduous crop.

Can I put her in a cage by herself in an unheated garage?? Does she need supplemental heat?? Again, I do not know what it does to a chicken to warm them, only to go back outside again. It's in the 30's here blowing a noreaster!

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom