Really bizarre rescue....

Soooo.....I came here to post this because it's really weird, and I don't know where else to share it!

I've rescued/nursed back to health many different animals over the years, but I can definitely say this is my first fish case.

I was out by the lake today, just walking around watching the tilapia and plecos swim around, when I noticed a plastic bag someone had thrown into the water. I leaned down to pick it up and realized there was a small baby peacock bass inside. I let him out of the bag, but he looked like had been trapped a long time and drifted on his side and didn't swim.

I quickly fished him out and placed him into a container with an air pump. I put aloe drops in the water to repair his slime coat and a bit of medicated drops for any injuries. He's currently in an isolated container in my bathroom. He was completely upside down when I first placed him in, but is now swimming around.

He still looks pretty down, but definitely better then earlier. What else can I do for this little dude? I'm definitely no fish expert! 🐟
It'll get on better in the lake.
As it's a wild fish, it will be experiencing extreme stress in a small container. Did you use tap water conditioner? If it's plain tap water it'll die.
It's extremely unlikely that it'll eat in your presence. Give it a try though.
Good find though!

Morning update: He's looking much better! Im going to release him back into the lake later today. He's got his greenish/pink hue back and his fins are up. I think he should be all good to go 👍. Excuse the tinted water, the lake water is pretty sandy/muddy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_111304830.jpg
    IMG_20210403_111304830.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210403_111253753.jpg
    IMG_20210403_111253753.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 5
Morning update: He's looking much better! Im going to release him back into the lake later today. He's got his greenish/pink hue back and his fins are up. I think he should be all good to go 👍. Excuse the tinted water, the lake water is pretty sandy/muddy.
Congratulations! I'm so happy to see him go! Great job!

Back
Top Bottom