1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really bleeding toe. What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Well I saw she had what looked like a pecked spot on her bottom...bleeding. Looking closer it appeared a broken tail feather close to the skin. So I trapped her in the coop to catch her and I THINK when I was trying to catch her is when she busted off a "thumb" nail past the quick and it has a steady drip. I sprayed blukote and she is alone in the coop. What else can I do? I cant bandage it without her pulling it off. I might hurt her trying to catch her again. I have all the poop boards cleaned and fresh bedding spread so as not to get cooties in the would but she is pacing trying to get out in the run with her friends. Do I just keep her trapped and hope it will form a scab?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Try my favorites, flour or cornstarch. If you can't wrap the toe, wrap the whole foot and secure around the ankle.

3. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Similar thing happened to my chick. Pressure and then flour stopped the bleeding, then I cleaned it with betadine and water and sprayed with blue kote. It scabbed over pretty quickly, and my chick is no worse for wear - stubby toe and all.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If you have quick stop, or blood stop, for when you cut nails too short. But flour or cornstarch should work, too. Needs to stay dry, won't work if she's in a puddle. I wouldn't take a chance it stopping on its own, I heard someone clipped nails too short, didn't catch it, and the bird bled to death...

5. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Ok then how bout flour and put a little kid sock on her and tape with medical tape. Does that work? I hope I can catch her again. Poor thing.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sounds good. Or a piece of t-shirt or even a paper towel. [​IMG]

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sounds like it's worth a try!

8. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    In an emergency my grandmother used flour on humans and creatures to stop bleeding. It has always worked for me too,

9. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Ok she is wearing my 3 yr olds sock and I used the medical tape to secure it-not too tight. She isnt happy. The roo was hysterical and throwing himself against the pop door to get in. So I let her back out. It appeared most the bleeding stopped but I put cornstarch on it anyway. I hope she will be ok. There is a pecking order change happening for some reason...well since my Margret hatched babies Sept 8 they have been trying to make a new order.

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How is the patient doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by