Really bummed out....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trulefty, Jan 9, 2010.

1. trulefty

trulefty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnolia, Ms
    Hey folks,

I've been really excited about hatch that started yesterday I wound up with 15 out of 18. I haven't given up on the last three yet although they still haven't pipped. But anyway, with my attention diverted to the chicks I forgot my dog and he has disappeared. I last saw him around 3 pm yesterday and couldn't find him at 5pm. I live way out in the country not close to roads so he couldn't have been picked up. He has either wandered off and can't find his way back (unlikely) or maybe killed by coyotes. I've gone to all neighbors houses leaving a description and my phone number and gone through the woods calling him. It doesn't look good .... I'm really bummed...

2. trulefty

trulefty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnolia, Ms
    I forgot.....my 15 babies.....

3. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I'm sorry. [​IMG] That is the worse thing. It sounds like you have done all you can, and if he hasn't been picked up, (mine was) he night show still. If some thing engages their attention (rabbit, barking dog elsewhere) they might get pretty far before they think to come back. If he's a whole male, he might be chasing the ladies. Hope he shows. That sure takes the joy out of a nice hatch.

Beautiful babies there!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Oh No... That really sucks.. That happened to 2 of my sister's dogs. Always running thru the woods. They live out in the middle of nowhere. We always came to the conclusion coyotes got them. As we could hear violent crys at night... Really sorry... Hopefully he will come trotting home with a full belly of something!! I know how you must feel I love my dogs too... Keep my fingers crossed for you.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Congrats on your chickens. Sorry to hear about your missing dog. I am not sure of the time difference there to here but I am guessing it is into the next day since he went missing. We had our 14 year old dog go missing when we first moved to the country and we found him a day and a half later down a dully. He couldn't get back up. Hope you are able to find him.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm so sorry about your dog but thrilled about your babies. It seems good and bad go hand in hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by