Really dumb question coming...

4 luv of eggs

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Westminster, MD
The girls have been in the coop for two days now and they are calling for rain for the next two days. Should I open the door to the run or keep them in the coop when it rains? They have never seen rain before and I'm afraid their little birdie brains will not tell them how to get out of the rain. Someone here had posted that their chicks stood in the rain even though they were close to shelter.

The coop is fairly large. Should I keep them "cooped" up for the next two days?

Mine actually like to play in the rain. It's never done them any harm. They will go inside if they don't like it. Mine always hide inside when it's really windy, but they like the rain.

Mine actually love the rain - except when it is pouring cats and dogs...then instead of running to the nice dry coop with water and food, they run under our camper shell and wait. I have had them stay under there all day - but they were happy as long as they were "out" of their coop.
lau.gif

Some of mine like it, some don't. All will go under something instead of in the coop when it pours except the hen with 8 chicks, she takes them inside. The others go under the coop which has barely enough room, or under the big shed where there is lots of room, and bugs...or under the Blazer in the driveway.

Yesterday was the first day my chicks are out in the coop. I live in MD too so I am worried about the same thing. I think I am going to leave them in today (the coop is 10' x 10' with 12' ceiling) to make sure they know the inside of their coop is safety and home. They are about 6 weeks old or slightly more and I dont want to risk losing them because of rain and wind.

First of all, there are no such things as dumb questions...except maybe the ones we don't ask. So please, always feel free to ask away!

You didn't mention how old your "girls" are. If they're adult and fully feathered, I'd worry less about them getting wet and chilled. The outside temperature is a factor, too. And finally, is there anyone who'll be able to check on them periodically, or do they have to be on their own all day?

I tend toward the "better safe than sorry" philosophy. Unless I was able to be around and check on the birds throughout the day, I'd lock them in the coop.

Mine are 6+ weeks old. I did the same as Kim. It's a little chilly here and she's right...why chance it. I just turned their light on and let them sit inside and talk about decorating.

One of the things I've noticed about my 7 week olds is that they still have a good bit of down, under their wings, bellys, butts and other places. Down holds water, unlike feathers which shed water. If they were to get wet, their down would be soaked, which would lead to hypothermia fairly quickly. I don't know at what age PR's lose all or most of their down, but until that happens, they'll need to shelter from rain or storms.

Another rainy day in store - another day in the coop for the girls. Thank goodness its big enough for them to flap their wings and spread out.

Back
Top Bottom