Brooder to coop

Lnm130

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2023
Hi, all! First post, and first time raising chicks!

I've got ten girls. They will be five weeks old on Monday. I was hoping to get them out of my garage and into their coop and run next week. We leave for vacation mid July and I'd like them to be independently putting themselves in the coop at night with our automatic door.

However, now that we're close, this weather has me questioning thing. I'm not worried about the rain, as my run stays dry, but the temps. Right now, they're in my garage. Currently, it is 64* outside, 73* in the garage, and 77* under their heat plate.

I'm honestly not even sure how much they use the heat. I think they mostly like to be on top of it. Some do lay under it, but I almost think it's more of a "this is a nice bed" situation.

I am planning on locking them in the coop for two days, then allowing them access to the run.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230623-093427.png
    Screenshot_20230623-093427.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 40
at 5 weeks old, they definitely don't need heat.

I'd just put them in the coop in the evening after the auto door closes, and let them wake up to the door opening. They should be able to piece it together.

edit: this is, of course, just my opinion.

I agree, they shouldn't need heat at those temps. I took heat away from 3 week olds with lows in the mid 60's and they were fine with just a huddle box. You could lock them in the coop for a couple days or wangle them up every night until they get it. I had 4, 4 week olds that were already mingling with the big girls, but had they separate grow out coop, and one night after all the ladies went to roost i wangled them into the coop to sleep. That was the only time I had to do that, they went to roost every night after that by themselves.

I agree, they shouldn't need heat at those temps. I took heat away from 3 week olds with lows in the mid 60's and they were fine with just a huddle box. You could lock them in the coop for a couple days or wangle them up every night until they get it. I had 4, 4 week olds that were already mingling with the big girls, but had they separate grow out coop, and one night after all the ladies went to roost i wangled them into the coop to sleep. That was the only time I had to do that, they went to roost every night after that by themselves.
Am I ok to just unplug the plate, then? I do have the garage door open for fresh air. Just monitor them a bit?

Back
Top Bottom