Really liking this feeding system from Revolutionary Chicken

Oh, nice! Have you used it enough to review?
Hubby got it done, and I took it out there and put some feed in it. The chicken's figured out what it was for right away. I sat the bucket on top of one of those cement block's. All's good! I might have to do up another bucket because the kit only had enough for 4 holes.

I don't know if that's the official name but I wanted a gravity dispensing chicken watering system, but I also know myself. I need to be able to see the water as part of my chore routine, so that it never accidentally runs dry. This makes me lean away from the small cups and the nipple style.

These were marketed as "quail cups" on ebay and they came as a pack of 4 for maybe $20. You just need a 3/8" drill bit and you could put them on anything. I chose a 5 gallon bucket and I love it. Here is my food and water station:

The lid on the bucket is just sitting there to keep bugs and mosquitos out. It's not sealed up - that would probably prevent the cup from filling.
That looks great. Thanks for the tip!

With the heat we get in the Phoenix area, do you also set out any type of water bowl for them to sit in mid-summer? Or do you use misters? What have you found helps keep them cool?

With the heat we get in the Phoenix area, do you also set out any type of water bowl for them to sit in mid-summer? Or do you use misters? What have you found helps keep them cool?
I got my first chicks late September of last year and then I kept them in an indoor brooder, so this is going to be my first Phoenix summer as a chicken keeper. I have been reading voraciously and watching all the "arizona chicken" youtube videos I can find. Depending on who you ask, chickens do quite well or not so well in our heat, and I'm finding mixed reviews on dominiques in hot weather.

Did set up masonry tubs with bricks in them, and I think this will be helpful:
chicken_masonry_tub_cooling.png

And I have a drip irrigation system that I turn on every day when I let the chickens out. They like to lay in the damp spots under the trees.

I also go check out what local feed store The Western Ranchman is up to. They have a few adult chickens that are not for sale and just live on the property year round. I was there just the other day and they had let the chickens out of the open-air coop, and they leave a hose on a trickle underneath one of the storage trailers so the chickens can cool off in the wet dirt.
coop_front.jpg
(coop with door open, only a few ducks inside at the time)

What I am observing so far is that they seem to be showing less stress at each temperature point. I haven't seen the same level of wing holding and air gulping at 100 as I did when it first hit 90.

I'm always looking to BYC for desert chicken experience so please share anything that is working for you!

edit: I took a tiny silent video of the chickens eating and me digging around in the feeder

:D

Last edited:
I came across this product when looking for a pigeon-proof, rodent-proof, rain-protected, low waste feeder. Yes I have seen the PVC elbow ones that you can make, but I wanted to come up with a system that would be safe from critters and weather if I forgot to put caps on it.

Enter these feeding ports designed and manufactured by Revolutionary Chicken. I love that I get to support an inventor and small business owner in this process.

You can purchase the assembled feeder or just the ports. I wanted to do the full feeder but I knew that our Arizona sun would probably wreck the outer box in a single season. We have extremely high UV levels that just decimate plastic. So I ordered 2 of their special feeding ports which was $30 shipped. It came with good instructions and here is what they look like:
View attachment 3132588

And for all of my family members watching me build the box, I had to send out this picture to show them just how long chicken necks really are!
View attachment 3132590

At the time of this writing I haven't fed a chicken by hand in 2 weeks nor have I found any evidence of any other creature having gotten into the bin. Here is what they looked like as soon as I set them up:
View attachment 3132603

And surprisingly, all of the chickens figured it out on the first day (within minutes, really). They pecked at the clear sides a little bit at first, and since then no problems. I have 7 Dominiques that use the 2 ports and it is going well. Ages 2.5mos old and 8mos.
View attachment 3132683

I bought a new bag of chicken feed and was able to pour the whole bag into this setup. While at first I kept it shallow (like in the above pic) you really don't need to do that, because as they eat through the port more feed will settle down into the bottom without compromising their head room.

The only downside I have noticed thus far is that the chickens can't watch out for predators while they are eating. They don't spend a lot of time eating, so I expect this won't be a problem. They also tend to take a bite and then bring their head back out, which is more alert. Good job ladies!

So far I would give this product an enthusiastic two thumbs up. I am not affiliated with this company or inventor in any way, and this is an unsolicited review. I just like low-tech solutions and sharing things that aren't made overseas by big conglomerates. If I need more feeders I am going to do more of these.
Thank you so much for sharing! This is the answer to so many problems!

I don't know if that's the official name but I wanted a gravity dispensing chicken watering system, but I also know myself. I need to be able to see the water as part of my chore routine, so that it never accidentally runs dry. This makes me lean away from the small cups and the nipple style.

View attachment 3135449

These were marketed as "quail cups" on ebay and they came as a pack of 4 for maybe $20. You just need a 3/8" drill bit and you could put them on anything. I chose a 5 gallon bucket and I love it. Here is my food and water station:
View attachment 3135451

The lid on the bucket is just sitting there to keep bugs and mosquitos out. It's not sealed up - that would probably prevent the cup from filling.
Omg you’re awesome! Going to do this as well!

I got my first chicks late September of last year and then I kept them in an indoor brooder, so this is going to be my first Phoenix summer as a chicken keeper. I have been reading voraciously and watching all the "arizona chicken" youtube videos I can find. Depending on who you ask, chickens do quite well or not so well in our heat, and I'm finding mixed reviews on dominiques in hot weather.

Did set up masonry tubs with bricks in them, and I think this will be helpful:

And I have a drip irrigation system that I turn on every day when I let the chickens out. They like to lay in the damp spots under the trees.

I also go check out what local feed store The Western Ranchman is up to. They have a few adult chickens that are not for sale and just live on the property year round. I was there just the other day and they had let the chickens out of the open-air coop, and they leave a hose on a trickle underneath one of the storage trailers so the chickens can cool off in the wet dirt.

(coop with door open, only a few ducks inside at the time)

What I am observing so far is that they seem to be showing less stress at each temperature point. I haven't seen the same level of wing holding and air gulping at 100 as I did when it first hit 90.

I'm always looking to BYC for desert chicken experience so please share anything that is working for you!

edit: I took a tiny silent video of the chickens eating and me digging around in the feeder

:D
Thank you for the video! Like @igorsMistress , I too plan to follow suit with that type of feeder and waterer.
I'm working on a coop now.

I'd love to get 2 or 3 buff orpingtons if any of you happen to see any available in the Phoenix/surrounding area. I'd actually prefer to get a young hen or pullet rather than chicks, but will get what I can get. (I'm west of Buckeye!)

AZ chicken noob. How many birds do they recommend per cup? I bought some online from a different manufacturer and it didn't come with any instructions. I put 9 feeders on a 55 gal pickle barrel. Thanks, Michigan chicken noob here

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_133221028.jpg
    IMG_20220529_133221028.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220529_133053124_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220529_133053124_HDR.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 16
AZ chicken noob. How many birds do they recommend per cup? I bought some online from a different manufacturer and it didn't come with any instructions. I put 9 feeders on a 55 gal pickle barrel. Thanks, Michigan chicken noob here
Noobs unite!

This particular one they recommend 2 ports per every 6-8 chickens. I found that at first there was a little pile-up, because everyone wants to eat at once, but now they have gotten the hang of "take your turn".

Back
Top Bottom