Really liking this feeding system from Revolutionary Chicken

I ordered the feeder ports and 2 styles of cups. Both the ones they peck and ones that automatically fill when they’re empty. I decided to use 2 gallon buckets as I can hang one from an existing chain inside the coop. Plus they’re easier to carry when full.
I lied, apparently both sets of cups are the auto fill type. I’m good with that.

Here’s my current setup. I need to put some shade cloth on the one side of the feeding area still but it’ll have to wait until this evening. I’m going to order some darker shade cloth for the top though.
722B3900-CAF9-45FF-9E5F-C07CBEC3C1CF.jpeg

I’m going to use this coop for the nest boxes. Right now everyone is hanging out in there
918C0DA0-13C9-43A6-9753-D842A9CE15B8.jpeg

The chairs were recycled to give them ways to eat the leaves on the tree. They love to just get up there and perch sometimes too. The tree is a willow acacia. Also, the pool has two doors cut into it with a lip on the bottom. I put a block of ice in it each afternoon for them to stand on/sip cold water from
8992BF9B-77BB-4653-9961-4029BDE3ADE6.jpeg

Inside the coop where the crew roosts. The front is just hardware cloth. The roost and some water are all that’s in there
EC1BFCA9-3E6A-4164-BB9D-E7C47BF9EF51.jpeg

8F9DC741-33E2-49ED-8061-4D7B36130438.jpeg

Today was the first day with the new waterers. I hadn’t considered how to clean the cups without dumping the whole bucket. I held the cup so it couldn’t refill and used my baster to suck out the water, then wiped with a paper towel. We have a lot of wind from storms to our Northwest so there were little bits of hay in the cups. I added ice to the buckets first, then went back and cleaned the cups. When I let water flow back in it was cool.

I've been just taking a rag towel and doing a really quick wipe for maintenance. I lose most of the water that was in the cup but I can do the full deal later when I get the inside as well.

We can get quite a bit of wind sometimes! Not a natural disaster but I always have to be careful during monsoon season because it can rip-roar and tear stuff up. And the haboobs :)

I've been just taking a rag towel and doing a really quick wipe for maintenance. I lose most of the water that was in the cup but I can do the full deal later when I get the inside as well.

We can get quite a bit of wind sometimes! Not a natural disaster but I always have to be careful during monsoon season because it can rip-roar and tear stuff up. And the haboobs :)
For sure on the storms and haboobs. We haven’t had dust too bad in recent years though, mostly the wind.

It certainly wasn’t a lot of water I was taking out of the cups, just something I hadn’t thought about having to do. I would have thought they’d go through the water faster than they did with the heat, but maybe without all the wild birds that will change.

I should mention that after only a couple of days with the new feeder the pigeon population has lessened considerably.

I came across this product when looking for a pigeon-proof, rodent-proof, rain-protected, low waste feeder. Yes I have seen the PVC elbow ones that you can make, but I wanted to come up with a system that would be safe from critters and weather if I forgot to put caps on it.

Enter these feeding ports designed and manufactured by Revolutionary Chicken. I love that I get to support an inventor and small business owner in this process.

You can purchase the assembled feeder or just the ports. I wanted to do the full feeder but I knew that our Arizona sun would probably wreck the outer box in a single season. We have extremely high UV levels that just decimate plastic. So I ordered 2 of their special feeding ports which was $30 shipped. It came with good instructions and here is what they look like:
View attachment 3132588

And for all of my family members watching me build the box, I had to send out this picture to show them just how long chicken necks really are!
View attachment 3132590

At the time of this writing I haven't fed a chicken by hand in 2 weeks nor have I found any evidence of any other creature having gotten into the bin. Here is what they looked like as soon as I set them up:
View attachment 3132603

And surprisingly, all of the chickens figured it out on the first day (within minutes, really). They pecked at the clear sides a little bit at first, and since then no problems. I have 7 Dominiques that use the 2 ports and it is going well. Ages 2.5mos old and 8mos.
View attachment 3132683

I bought a new bag of chicken feed and was able to pour the whole bag into this setup. While at first I kept it shallow (like in the above pic) you really don't need to do that, because as they eat through the port more feed will settle down into the bottom without compromising their head room.

The only downside I have noticed thus far is that the chickens can't watch out for predators while they are eating. They don't spend a lot of time eating, so I expect this won't be a problem. They also tend to take a bite and then bring their head back out, which is more alert. Good job ladies!

So far I would give this product an enthusiastic two thumbs up. I am not affiliated with this company or inventor in any way, and this is an unsolicited review. I just like low-tech solutions and sharing things that aren't made overseas by big conglomerates. If I need more feeders I am going to do more of these.
A person might be able to buy 90's and a full straight stick (8'), cut a piece at an angle for 1/2 the price.

A person might be able to buy 90's and a full straight stick (8'), cut a piece at an angle for 1/2 the price.

I support everyone's ingenuity and willingness to do it themselves. Lately my chores and projects have been so extensive that I was so relieved to just have an off-the-shelf solution that I didn't have to think about. I've been stretched thin and it was nice to treat myself to something read made :)

Back
Top Bottom