REALLY loud hen. Can I get her to be more quiet?

brettzim

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
So, we've had a pretty miserable run of luck with our laying hens. We finally got a laying Delaware White. She's been a trooper, laying about 5-6 big brown eggs a week. She's not super bright but friendly and gets along well with the other gals. Her only drawback, she is freaking LOUD. So loud. We put a heat lamp on them on the cold nights and I have to unplug it at 6am because she starts .... I'm not even sure what to call it, screaming? every morning at about that time. I think she's just letting everyone (in a 5 block vicinity) know that she's about to lay an egg. But, it's a bit much as we live in the city. We just had to re-home two roosters we were very attached to because one of them was beginning to crow. Now it turns out we traded him in for a louder hen. Has anyone else had any luck getting their hens to be a bit quieter in their egg announcements? No one has complained but I don't want to push our luck with tolerant neighbors. Thanks!!

I have bribed hens to be quiet-distract them with snacks or let them out earlier. I also live in town, and have re-homed a few hens to the country that were just too noisy-hope it works out for you.

Good luck with that. I also have a loud hen who is a Delaware mix. Thank god I live in the sticks!

welcome-byc.gif

distraction, I have a Rhode Island Red that anounces her accomplish FOREVER, my neighbors are not all that close BUT.
The neighbors on both sides of me work the same hours I do so during the week no harm, no fowl
lol.png

On the weekend when she starts I go out and pick her up, stops her every time.

You might also start presenting your neighbors with 'good will' eggs. Sometimes that helps smooth things a bit.

welcome-byc.gif
I see you have been lurking for a few months. Some hens just like to announce their eggs and some like to make it known they are next in line for a particular nest box.

If you find a cure let me know.
barnie.gif
Mine are always vocal. They let you know when they are done, Some breeds seem to be louder than others.
I will also have to try the bribe method! LOL
D.gif

I'm the only one in the neighborhood who is hearing-impaired and I've got a Barred Rock that must be driving the neighbors nutz
roll.png
!!

She has always been noisy! Even when she was little and hadn't gained her "big girl's" voice, yet – she was the talker. She makes noise all day and cackles for the other hens when they lay an egg!! DW says, "Just let her out." But, she makes noise walking around the yard.

This can’t be just a Barred Rock problem because I’ve got another one who I’ve never, ever heard cackle.

Picking her up should work but I'm about to club her. What I do is point my finger at her and shush her. Her head will go down but she continues to make noise. I'll continue with my finger-pointing and shushing. She'll leave the other chickens and go into the coop where I can still hear her carrying on. She comes out in a minute and I'm still there pointing and shushing so she goes back in. About then, I take off and get far enuf away I don't have to hear it anymore
wink.png

It's either that or I turn the hearing aids off . . . that really works like a charm
cool.png
!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom