Really Nasty Poo**WARNING!! GRAPHIC, DISGUSTING & PIC HEAVY**

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
So, as some of you may know, I've been dealing with runny poo and diarrhea with my chickens since Oct. 07 when I got them. I've FINALLY got pics. I've only been feeding them layer crumble for the past 3wks. (no treats) they've only free ranged about 4 times, just recently, I clean their coop daily and rake the run, which is completely covered, every other day.

Before you look.....make sure you're not eating or haven't eaten recently!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LuLu's vent
LuLusButt.jpg

LuLu's Poo
LuLuPoo.jpg

Lovebug's Poo
LovebugPoo1.jpg

Ruby's Poo
RubysPoo.jpg

Could be paracites. The middle one looks like they drank too much water and the last one looks like cecal poo. Are they all that way? If so then maybe worming is in order. It is normal for a few to be that way though.

Every once in a while one of my chicken's have a poo like the last one but it is very rare and is usually barely anything. not sure what causes it, but i know mine are parasite-free (we treat them for everything!)

Have you always fed them the same brand of food, if so, maybe you could try a different brand. That really looks bad and probably should be tested since this has gone on for 5 months.

I just took samples to the vet about 2 wks ago. No parasites were found in any of it. I gave them cooked rice mixed with organic plain yogurt today and they seemed to be somewhat more solid poos. These are the only 3 I have, so yes, they're all that way. Oreo, my barred rock, died on Tues. afternoon. Showed no signs of anything wrong. Just died.

I've used Wazine to worm them. Anyone have another type of wormer to suggest?

Last edited:
Have no idea about the water supply, but we do have a filter on our kitchen sink. Maybe I should try to use that when I fill the waterer. Never thought of that!!

If you had it tested and there were no parasites you wouldn't want to use more wormer on them. How often have you been worming them?

Plus, have you tried switching food brands?

Finally, I would start feeding them scrambled egg, shredded cheese, diced up veggies, in addition to their layer feed. Many believe that the commercial feed has everything they need to be healthy, but I do not believe that which is why I feed mine everything from the garden and then some and let them free range the farm - just like the "ole days".

If they are dying it could be from dehydration and malabsorbtion issues just like a person would who had had runny diarreah for 5 months.

Back
Top Bottom