Really noisy chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamakelly, Sep 24, 2010.

1. mamakelly

mamakelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    My chickes are so gosh darn noisy! They've been laying for about 2 weeks now, and in the mornings they are crazy loud for about 3-4 hours. They stop if I come over and sit by the coop, but obviously I cant' do that every day. Are everyone elses chickens this loud?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    No, but mine aren't laying yet.

3. chiclet

chiclet Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    alexandria
    i have 4 hens, and only 1 of them is CRAZY loud! Can't even talk on the phone when she's got something to say!

4. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Two of mine are about 18 months old- and can they be LOUD when singing the egg song. The other day, my husband said 2 out of the 4 19-week old EE joined in!! hehehe. I missed it, but can imagine what it will be like. Who knew such little bodies could make so much noise!

5. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

YES!
    Hubs came to pick me up from work, and told me they had gotten so loud that both cats were in the bedroom window staring out in a horrified way, and that he could hear them from the front yard (over 100 yards, and round the other side of the house). I came home sure to find another egg (they have just begun laying) but, no, they were just very adamant about not much at all!
    No idea why, but am expecting to find more eggs by bedtime. (we got 2 in 12 hours, and then just one this morning, so obviously more than one is laying...we'll see...)

He was sure they were under attack, but turned out to be fine. Must just be a new layer thing...??? Hope to see some veteran responses on this thread!

Bright Blessings

6. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My guys kind of go through noise periods... IB the Iowa Blue is the chattiest today then the BSL's [​IMG]

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Depends, on some laying days they don't make a peep. But on other days, like today, it's a different story. They'll growl and whine and squak and bok like there's no tomorrow. Luckily, it onlys lasts about 2 hours at the most. Mine rarely ever cackle or peform the egg song though, lucky me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  8. shortnsweet1025

shortnsweet1025 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    My silkie is really noisy. Everytime my red stars see me they make this really long baawwwwwwwwwwwkkk bawk bawk.. But that silkie just clucks all the time..She hasn't started laying that I know of either.

9. monicaei1

monicaei1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Mine actually SCREAM to be let out in the morning. Apparently, from some informative internet research, my girls' breed (Egyptian Fayoumis) are notoriously loud. More like Guineas, and practically feral. Not "bok bok baawk", which they do to lay eggs, but SCREAMING. Like they are being physically assaulted. :) Not a thing you can do but learn to love it. Upside, we never need an alarm clock for work again :)

10. Some chickens (HENS) are louder than others. It is not always the breed but something can be said about certain breeds being louder than others. My personal experience is that one or two weeks before the girls mature sexually (start laying) they get a little chatty and sometimes loud. For example my Red Sex Links have continued to be EXTREMELY loud in the morning, starting at 5:50 am till about 7 am when they start laying and then one by one they start singing the egg song. My neighbors are really good about it, thankfully. [​IMG] However my Barred Rocks don't hardly make a peep. And my RIR are in the middle. With all of that being said each chicken is a little different. I don't know of any method to quite them down yet. Except to go out there to them which is what I think they make all the racket for. And yes I give them treats and they love seeing me coming out. So maybe, just maybe I am contributing to their loud behavior. By the way I hate getting up every morning at 5:50 am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by