Really painful injury from rooster flogging

I don't risk anything that would prevent me from making a living. I'm a truck driver and federal law says I lose my license if I lose a limb. Chickens are filthy and have no sense of hygiene except to keep the feathers neat and clean. Honestly, sometimes I see the chickens walking around with poo caked between their toes and wonder how they tolerate it. If I got a wound like that from anything in my chicken flock's kingdom and it was swollen and painful, I'd be at my local clinic in the morning. I don't care if it was a scratch from a "clean" piece of chickenwire, the first hint of infection would make me drive into town for a doc visit.
Hey Mr trucker, thanks for the hard talk. After I read your post late last night, I researched animal bite treatment online, and started doxycycline. I can fully bend my leg this morning! Bless you! The wound must have been infected. If anything changes for the worse in the next couple of days, I will indeed go to the urgent care clinic. Thank you @Coops Dad !

This is my right outer wrist; a light fixture fell on it as I was demo-ing a building. I put in 11 or 12 stitches, left handed (I'm a righty), after thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the wound. View attachment 3373150This is my left inner wrist. The circled area on my forearm is a stab wound suffered while trying to cut a piece of nylon strap out of a brush mower. I cleaned and disinfected it (there was some nylon threads deep down in it) and put in five beautiful stitches, very even, neat and uniform. The big scar on my wrist was from a piece of sheet metal that was under tension; it struck as fast as a rattlesnake. 15 stitches, kinda ugly because the skin there is tight and there's not a lot of meat to to sink a stitch into. I did this show and tell to illustrate that I'm not the type to run to a doctor for every nick or chip taken from my flesh. But I do take barnyard punctures very seriously.
View attachment 3373154
Thank you for taking the time to post illustrations! You are tough as nails.

Thank you for taking the time to post illustrations! You are tough as nails.

Not super tough, I just hate spending $400 on a little Novocaine and catgut; there's better things for me to spend money on. A spritz of rubbing alcohol, a little crazy glue, a fine curved needle and some 4-lb test monofilament fishing line and I save half a day in the ER and a month's worth of grocery money.

I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope you heal quickly.

Not super tough, I just hate spending $400 on a little Novocaine and catgut; there's better things for me to spend money on. A spritz of rubbing alcohol, a little crazy glue, a fine curved needle and some 4-lb test monofilament fishing line and I save half a day in the ER and a month's worth of grocery money.

I knew a man in my youth that would not go to the doctor for anything. I recall him being gored through the right hand by a billy goat. He packed it with lard and kerosene and kept on keeping on.

Are you a veteran? single?

Are you a veteran? single?
No, never served. First male in at least seven generations who didn't but also first male with a college degree.

30 years and counting with my "starter" wife (my Dad's term of endearment for her- his advice was to get married on a Friday so that if it doesn't work out, at least it won't blow the whole weekend).

No, never served. First male in at least seven generations who didn't but also first male with a college degree.

30 years and counting with my "starter" wife (my Dad's term of endearment for her- his advice was to get married on a Friday so that if it doesn't work out, at least it won't blow the whole weekend).
LOL .. sounds like you have a good set-up.
At least I did not humiliate myself ...publicly.

I'm a doc and after a duty wound we recommend tetanus booster within 5 years. Also I think most docs would give an antibiotic such as augmentin for a puncture wound from rooster spurs. From what I've read they can be quite contaminated. Also if it touches the bone there could be risk of osteomyelitis (bone infection), so take these seriously. Cheers all.

Back
Top Bottom