REALLY picky chickens

Basically, because they probably do not need to. The familiar feed is over flowing in their feeder. Chickens often don't like the unfamiliar. Vegetable scraps are not the crumbles or pellets they are used. If you fill their hunger with feed, there's no need for them to try anything new.

If their feeder is empty once in awhile and they go a half day without their usual feed, they'll likely experiment.
smile.png

Last edited:
Mine wouldn't eat treats when they were young, but developed a liking for all those things after they reached about 3 months of age. They never really got to like tomatoes, though.

Mine wouldn't eat treats when they were young, but developed a liking for all those things after they reached about 3 months of age. They never really got to like tomatoes, though.

My RIR never ate any worms I gave them when they were 2-3 weeks old. Then as they got used to scratching the ground, they love all the bugs and veggies. Tomatoes, leaves of jalapeno plants, basil, mint, melon rinds, picking at bones for meat, etc.

Won't eat
Lettuce
Pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin
Bananas
Alfalfa
Cabbage
Tomatoes (they sort of eat them)
Apple banana pear peelings
Cucumber
Why won't they eat them

My chickens can be really, annoyingly picky too. Before I got them hubby told me "they eat everything". NOT! :)

Mine eat some kinds of lettuce - love the crunchy ones like iceburg and romaine not so much on spring mix. Will eat pumpkin/squash/melon seeds like crazy! Won't eat bananas, cabbage, apple. Sometimes eat tomatoes, more into the cherries than the large ones. Cukes - mostly the seeds.

They LOVE blueberries, watermelon, earthworms, mealworms and meat. Throw in some ground beef/pork and they go absolutely crazy for it and it's gone in seconds!

Mine do pretty well with yogurt, bread, cooked rice/pasta, and eggshells (I crush them up in my hand so they don't look like an egg and they snarf them right down).

I give them the greens and other treats in the AM and their grain at night to give them something to do while they're stuck in the coop between when we close them in around 5 and when the light goes off at 8:30 PM.

Keep trying - sometimes mine will eat it one day, won't the next, etc. Fussy gussies!

They are omnivores. They can eat meat.

How old are your birds? If they are full then they won't eat. Are you free ranging them? If they aren't eating their feed then don't give them any other options. They will eat it when they get hungry.

Mine really love any kind of berries and I give them strwberrys sometimes but the don't like bugs at all and can chickens eat meat?
Yes, chickens eat meat. Just to be safe, cook meat thoroughly before giving to your chickens. I normally give my chickens little bits of meat left on bones. They will peck till bone is dry. Mine won't touch a strawberry at all.

Back
Top Bottom