Wouldnt your flock all have different tastes in treats?

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
I have only 5 chickens but if one chicken likes something, they all do. If 1 chickens doesn't like it, none of them do. They go absolutely crazy for arugula and bananas, they're lukewarm on regular lettuce, and none will eat meal worms. You'd think like maybe one of them would love meal worms, and not the arugula but no. Is this something that chickens just naturally do? Follow the leader perhaps?

I say it depends on the bird. But some of my birds won’t eat something new unless they see another bird eating it. Maybe a taste it see if it’s poison approach? But I’ve notice some have their favorite treats while the other birds don’t care for them. ATM all of them hate the black solider fly larvae that’s dried. And only three of them like live grasshoppers, I pick them from my garden if I see any and give them to the ones who do. I have 8 in total birds.

You are right, follow the leader 100%. One of them thought danger, the rest followed suit. Trick one into pecking at the worms and the others will follow.

Back
Top Bottom