Really really fed up :(

At this point you probably want to keep the humidity modest: maybe even 30-50%. The navel is looking really quite good. With a nice antibacterial ointment and proper care, the remainder should dry out and fall off within a few days. From what I understand, when you have a yolk unabsorbed, you want very high humidity; when you have something like this, you want normal humidity, even low humidity, to allow things to dry out. It looks like you've done a good job with him.

Also, I wouldn't worry about food yet... Not until tomorrow. He didn't absorb a lot of his yolk, that's true, but he should be okay for a while. Sometimes it takes a day or two for them to start eating even normally, and chances are if you gave him food he might not even eat it. But, on the other hand, if you gave him a small amount to peck at, I doubt it would do any harm, so feel free. But, I am always hesitant to give ducklings very dry food because they have trouble eating without water.

Last edited:
Thankyou so much for all your help! Fingers crossed tomorrow will bring good news! I've taken out the dividers now and laid the flannel flat so she has more room to crawl around, hopefully to get that leg working too! I've turned the humidity down too now, thanks. She's had another drink and so now I guess she's better off just left to it overnight and then hopefully will be on her feet in the morning and ready to take on some food!
smile.png

I feel a small ray of hope for her now, thanks so much for all your time (and everyone else who has contributed too!)
xxx

I just hope that the pregnant foster dog I'm caring for at the moment does a better job at popping her puppies out when the time comes!!!!

83538_010.jpg

Just thought I'd post another one of these great pictures, just to show what she says about this sort of thing

(Should note the situations are both different, but the idea of the remainder of the yolk and the navel drying out is the same):

AH-Yolk-dried-illus.jpg

Clean and dry, that is your objective right now.
smile.png

Good luck!

Last edited:
sad.png
Sadly poor little mite has died, only in the last half an hour. her leg was still wonky and her eyes started to close, she was still a fighter though and I gave her water and electrolytes but she has gone to the great duckpond in the sky. Thanks so much for all your help. I was going to get rid of the other eggs in the little incubator but candled them and they all have hearts and bloodvessels, so I guess they deserve a chance. Thanks again for your help, I really really appreciate it.
x

I'm very sorry that the little one didn't make it. It's hard to know why, I suppose there are a lot of factors involved. But try, try again. It is a learning process. Just remember to keep your humidity low, watch to see if they externally pip, and if not, just make a small hole and observe the veins and yolk sac. Let them stay in the eggs and absorb their yolks and you will find a lot of success. I wish you luck with these eggs, and once again I am sorry.

Back
Top Bottom