Really really fed up :(

Does it seem that the blood vessels on the yolk are disappearing? Keep your eye on that as well as the size of the yolk. When it's this large, there may be some serious problems with absorption of the yolk. When/if the blood vessels disappear and if the yolk is not absorbing, you may have to ligate the yolk from the umbilical cord and actually cut it off, which I have never done myself and I imagine would be risky business.

With that said, I just hope it can be absorbed at this point... Does it seem to be getting smaller?

This is not for ducks or geese or any kind of poultry--it's about cockatiels. But this person's photos helped me a lot when I needed it most. Here's what she says about unabsorbed yolk:

Yolk-Tie-off-illus.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that, it does help, the last duckling that hatched had an unabsorbed yolk but during the course of 24 hrs is got absorbed. This one seems kinda angry red now and has white patches on it, similar to how a hard boiled egg looks. It doesn't seem to be getting smaller. It's wrapped up in the flannel and cheeps when I take the lid off the incubator, I've given it a bit of water and it's kicking around at the yolk. It's a tough decision to make, but I guess if it isn't any smaller then I will need to take it off. Maybe I'll give it until the morning and see if it absorbs overnight? Thanks so much for all your help, it's great to have your support
x

I'd keep a close eye with thread ready in case it tears the sack. I would wait overnight. I have had a similar experience and it absorbed except about a marble sized area over two days, and then I nipped it off after 2 days tied off.

fl.gif

Thanks for that, I just logged on here to say that I just checked on it and it had torn the sack and it was starting to empty out, I've tied the floss round tight near the chick, I guess I just leave it now?

Okay, first of all: Is there any bleeding? Can you take a picture of the torn sac? Can you make sure all of the sac is gone except a very small portion and tie it up as well as possible so as to resemble one of the pictures that I posted above, with the ligature around the navel?

Secondly, you are going to want to do some major disinfecting here to prevent infection. Iodine, or as they suggest povidone-idoine solutions, are great for disinfecting. In a pinch I'd say hydrogen peroxide or anything else you can find around the house would be helpful, but if you can get to the store and get what they suggest, you would have the best luck. Then you are going to want to totally soak the navel with the solution.

There is no bleeding, the image is of the sack after it had torn but before I cut it off, I tied the floss then left it a bit before cutting just to make sure, anyway the chick is livelyish, on clean tissue and a flannel, one of it's legs seems to be really straight though, it was the one yolk was resting on, so hopefully will start to bend soon. I only have Triscrub which it says is an antibacterial skin cleanser and surgical scrub, a formulation suitable for general skin disinfectant. It's the stuff I use diluted on the dogs if they have a cut. Would that be ok?

I have also been giving it dips of water from a small cap, is this enough? I'm worried it's going to be thirsty. I have tied up the navel and bathed the end in that disinfectant, it's better than nothing I guess. Do I just leave the duckling in the incubator overnight now and hope that it's up and walking in the morning?

Looks like a pretty typical yolk... Good thing there's no bleeding. Good thing you also have it nicely tied up. (A picture of that, too, would be good--sorry for asking for all these pictures but it really helps with visualizing it!) I think what you have would work for now. But if you CAN, get some iodine solution as soon as you can. You're going to probably want to apply it on a daily basis I would say, and keep your eye out for infection. That's the biggest concern right now.

As for his leg... Good chance that will sort itself out. I have my fingers crossed for you and the duckling.

Quote:
Yes, I'd say small drinks are all it needs at this point. My babies only take tiny sips in the first day or two anyway, even normal ones. If you have a vitamin solution that would be excellent to add to the water: otherwise, the fact that he is drinking is a good sign. I think he'll be just fine in the incubator and I'd say that's the very best place for him to be right now. Definitely not a brooder. He may need to be in there longer, until he's fluffed up and the navel is looking clean, dry, and without a sign of infection. I imagine you can turn down the temperature in your incubator, too, as it's an r-com: I'd aim for 98 now. 98 is good for hatching to begin with, but seeing as he's out and getting fluffier from what I can see, that might be ideal and be more comfortable for him.

83538_018.jpg

So keep the humidity high too ? it's at 70% at the moment, I'll adjust the temp. No food then, nothing until she's walking?

Back
Top Bottom