Really sick chicken- respiratory issues day 5 - treating w Terramycin

abita17

Chirping
Oct 4, 2016
OKLAHOMA
I have a really sick chicken. We are brand new chicken owners and had no idea what was wrong with Henrietta when she was sleeping standing up and lethargic. We went through all the possibilities but disregarded respiratory because we didn't see any physical signs until day 3. We finally realized that her eyes were crusted shut- got them open and could see the snot. The next morning we got Terramycin both for her eyes and to give her a shot. She's had two days of treatment and seems no better. Her breathing is labored and each time she breaths snot comes out of her eyes. She isn't really eating or drinking much and I don't know what to do. I don't want her to suffer if it's just not going to get better. I never thought I'd love these chickens so much. Thank you for your help!

My advice is to continue to treat with the Tylan (assuming you are injecting) and get LOTS of water in her. Even if you have to spoon feed it to her. I'd also add a supplement if you can, like nutra drench. It may take a few days for her to feel better..
Best of luck!

I have a really sick chicken. We are brand new chicken owners and had no idea what was wrong with Henrietta when she was sleeping standing up and lethargic. We went through all the possibilities but disregarded respiratory because we didn't see any physical signs until day 3. We finally realized that her eyes were crusted shut- got them open and could see the snot. The next morning we got Terramycin both for her eyes and to give her a shot. She's had two days of treatment and seems no better. Her breathing is labored and each time she breaths snot comes out of her eyes. She isn't really eating or drinking much and I don't know what to do. I don't want her to suffer if it's just not going to get better. I never thought I'd love these chickens so much. Thank you for your help!
Welcome to BYC! Are you giving Tylan? If so, how much?

-Kathy

Some illness in Chickens is caused or manifested by poor nutrition....What do you feed your birds?
Not saying it is not respiratory...I believe it is...Once a bird has a respiratory disease it will carry it for life..No cures...Wild birds can spread it, even can come in on your shoes depending on what one they caught. If one bird has it the chances are high they will all get it...Separate the sick bird and get her to drink water..Do not change her feed by giving her anything else..You can wet the feed and see if she will peck it off a spoon...Keep her warm in a crate in the house...

Best of luck...

Cheers!

Some illness in Chickens is caused or manifested by poor nutrition....What do you feed your birds?
Not saying it is not respiratory...I believe it is...Once a bird has a respiratory disease it will carry it for life..No cures...Wild birds can spread it, even can come in on your shoes depending on what one they caught. If one bird has it the chances are high they will all get it...Separate the sick bird and get her to drink water..Do not change her feed by giving her anything else..You can wet the feed and see if she will peck it off a spoon...Keep her warm in a crate in the house...

Best of luck...

Cheers!
This is true of many respiratory diseases, but not all of them.

-Kathy

Quote: Your very right Kathy....The common ones here in Alberta, Canada can not be cured..Only managed....

Thanks for the correction..I only know of the ones running around my area...

Cheers!
You're welcome.

I bring this up because I know of a couple of people that had a respiratory issues and they were advised by people to cull their flocks, so I suggested that they have their bird tested for the usual respiratory problems and all tests came back negative, so in their cases it was some type of bacterial infection, not mycoplasma, coryza, ITL, or IBV.

-Kathy

Quote: Your very right Kathy....The common ones here in Alberta, Canada can not be cured..Only managed....

Thanks for the correction..I only know of the ones running around my area...

Cheers!
You're welcome.

I bring this up because I know of a couple of people that had a respiratory issues and they were advised by people to cull their flocks, so I suggested that they have their bird tested for the usual respiratory problems and all tests came back negative, so in their cases it was some type of bacterial infection, not mycoplasma, coryza, ITL, or IBV.

-Kathy
Yeah...I have ITL here....Never has cleared with my Speckled Sussex..She is doing okay as I am managing it...

Welcome to BYC! Are you giving Tylan? If so, how much? 

-Kathy

We are giving Her .2 ml per day and we inject it on either side of her breastbone into the breast muscle. We figured that dosage by assuming she was about 5 lb.Also we are putting the same thing - just as an ointment-on her eyelid which is supposed to keep it from crusting closed and treat any infection.

Back
Top Bottom