Really strange “egg”

Luck isn't in it: you were prepared! Nice!

With my girl, I saw what turned out to be lash material, but it didn't look like it at the time. She was one of my rescue hens, and she'd come from deplorable conditions. I thought it was urates from high temps and dehydration. Now that I know better, I won't let it happen again!
They're just so fragile. All three if our hybrids have passed this last winter coming up 3 years old. Pretty sure they were all reproductive tumors and organ failure. With one, we had to deal with acites and the last girl, I chose to put down instead of watching her deteriorate slowly after a week indoors being tube-fed and medicated.

Of course, pets, so no autopsies for them. Gonna stick to quality purebreds from now on. Would rather support rare breeds and heritage operations over live fast die young egg farming.

They're just so fragile. All three if our hybrids have passed this last winter coming up 3 years old. Pretty sure they were all reproductive tumors and organ failure. With one, we had to deal with acites and the last girl, I chose to put down instead of watching her deteriorate slowly after a week indoors being tube-fed and medicated.

Of course, pets, so no autopsies for them. Gonna stick to quality purebreds from now on. Would rather support rare breeds and heritage operations over live fast die young egg farming.
My girl was an Australorp. But I see your point. I tend to be of the "Let me take the cast offs so they can be happy for at least a little while" camp.

My girl was an Australorp. But I see your point. I tend to be of the "Let me take the cast offs so they can be happy for at least a little while" camp.
Poor babies don't know how to chicken at all. Have yours had their beaks trimmed?

I have friends that have gone the rescue route and had hens living to 8+ years. All our girls were week old chicks, so never had it rough. Most people here 'dump' them when they go into moult instead of doing the responsible thing - which is pretty horrible itself. We personally commit to life with ours. Eggs are nice, but they're pets first.

My rescues were from an abandoned FFA project. They were half-starved and badly dehydrated. Many had severe injuries from pecking and from poor housing. I was only able to save 2 of the 14. I went back to get the rest, and they were gone.

I have 4 I ordered, but the rest are TSC bin "specials" that were due for "disposal."

Back
Top Bottom