Really Tame Breed?

Quote:
How ironic that breeds developed for fighting are so sociable with humans...so much like pitbulls...they even share some of the bad press and misunderstanding as their canine counterparts...I do not have any experience with these breeds, but Shamos are very interesting to me. I remember being very impressed by how calm and loving the roosters that I saw while living in Thailand were. People treated them much like dogs, and they acted accordingly.

Though I do have to add...once a breed becomes popular, breeding once geared towards friendly, pretty birds just becomes geared toward pumping out numbers...so I fear that as breeds like the shamo rise in popularity, their "genetic nature" may show some changes
hmm.png

I love my orpingtons, and my faverolle (a breed I haven't had before, but she is just darling), and my speckled sussex is super friendly too.

Last edited:
For some reason I was never born to like one or two or three or four different chicken breeds.

So...for some crazy reason this year I decided to try a bunch of different breeds. (Earlier this year I had sold 3 breeds that just to me were boring.)

Out of the group I have my Speckled Sussex are the most friendly.However at times if I have on short pants they and the 2 Russian Orloffs peck my legs out of curiosity.I don't like it but it's funny too.It's almost as good as the Russian Orloffs pecking my feet through the holes in my Crocs.
gig.gif
Crazy chickens.
gig.gif

So I still say my Speckled Sussex are my most friendly.

Quote:
I've always wanted Malays; but the theft risk is too great where we are. There is also a problem with self-appointed animal cops who think that any game bird, including OEGBs, is a sign that you are fighting them.

I think a lot depends on how you raise them.

I have super-friendly Brahmas who love to be cuddled.....Known to be a friendly breed, but they are a bit too big for smaller children to handle.

I have some La Flèche....was warned that they were flighty, skittish and generally 'untameable'......However, when I go outside and shout 'Chickens', they are down quicker than any of the others and all of them (including the roo) take food from my hand and run all over my feet.

My Naked Necks and the cross NN are all friendly, but an old Warren I have has never been as friendly as the rest.

I have found my seramas the tamest and afterward i would say my rhode island red and rhode island mixes.

I have a dozen or so seramas I can just let out in the yard and they are easy to pick up and put back in their cage after an hour in the yard. And my roosters are tame enough they will cuddle in my lap and fall asleep.

My least tame would be my silver phoenixes. They're impossible to do anything with.

Quote:
Well it all goes into the fact that the person needs to handle and condition these birds, so an aggressive or flighty one is not wanted, as it is dangerous, and referred to as a "man fighter."

True on the breeding in numbers thing, but honestly, Shamos have been around for a long, long time, same with Asils (practically the oldest breed out there) - Because people think they aren't useful for anything but fighting, I doubt they'll become a commercially bred favorite anytime soon. And if they do, they'll go the route of Ideal Hatchery's so-called Madagascar Games - The hatchery will get true purebred stock, then become displeased with their nature and egg-laying abilities, then cross a lot of production laying breeds into them, and out comes a product that looks, acts, and lives nothing like the original.

I'm not worried.
smile.png

Thank you all for the great suggestions
smile.png

I think if I'm going to get anything it will be a silkie or two. They seem to have gotten the most praise out of any other breed.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom