Really tired of burying fence in clay ground!

bigoakhunter

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Run and coop have been done for a while, but just went thru the effort to bury 18 inches of 1x2 welded wire fence around the run. Wow...lots of shoveling clay. Maybe the clay ground would have been enough. I did not want to chance it. SO Attached wire with wood screws and big washers all along run, dug up ground, (clay), then layed wire and recoverd.

Should keep the coyotes, coons and neighbors dogs out!

I am sure your blood and sweat will be rewarded with the first thwarted tunnel attempt
big_smile.png

The first thing I did when building our coop was to attach 1/2 hardware cloth to the underside of the run. Then 600 lbs. of river stone was spread on the floor of the run. When it was all completed we put large rocks around the perimeter with more to come. If something large tries to borrow under a big rock it will more than likely get crushed!

Last edited:
I found the use of a Trenching Shovel works great. They sell them at HD, Lowes, Big Lots for a wide range of prices. The blade is only about 4 inches wide and you dig in the same direction as the side of the run. I used it in the mountain clay with rocks intermixed. It made a task that would have been horrible with a standard shovel take minimal time and effort. I loaned it to a buddy when he was doing his run and burying the wire. He still hasn't stopped thanking me and telling me how much easier the task was with the right tool.

Bill

hugs.gif
When I saw the title for this thread I thought, for sure, that you must be in California! Because that is what we have to do here..... dig down in that awful clay! If you can believe it, we no longer dig, we use a jackhammer! But my birds are protected by that trench... wired down in a foot and buried in concrete AND clay. Ain't nobody getting in or out!
big_smile.png

We have clay, too. Buried pressure-treated plywood about 12" deep at the base of the coop. We rented a trencher to dig the trench for us - worked great.

Back
Top Bottom