Really worried and dont know whats wrong, please help..

JeanettesChickenCoop

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2021
Hello.

I have a beautiful little bantam cochin that im getting really worried for..
I have been trying to do research, but the more i read, the more lost I feel..
Ontop of that, getting help from a vet isnt an option where I live.
so I really hope maybe someone here will know what to do..

Ok, so *deep breath*, heres some info about my baby..

• 11 weeks
• frizzle bantam cochin.
• I got him at 2 weeks old, along with 10 others (6 of which stayed with me and 5 with my sister).
• very shy and super sweet.
• incredibly beautiful boy, always been the largest of the flock.
• has always been abit.. derpy? groggy? or slow? In his movements and everything else really. Like his brain seem to react slower than the rest..
• from I got him, he has always been shaky. Even under a heat lamp on the highest setting, he still shakes. It never ends its just constant.
It didnt seem normal to me, but he's just always been like that and seemed perfectly healthy with everything else up until now. The other 2 frizzles in our flocks has never been like this either, its just him.. (Is this normal?)
• has always seemed to struggle with jumps/heights.. It's a big difference from the rest. I dont know if its just how he is like the shaking and slowness.

I dont know if these things are just normal, or super slow bad symptoms. I've always been worried about him.
But a few days ago, more things started happening.

• seems to want to lay down more often.. Even when i come with treats and everyone else goes crazy..
• his comb and wattles has become really really pale over these few days.
• today I noticed his eyes are more closed and puffy. He just looked really really tired. Checked on him later, and still no difference.
• nothing else bad externally shows on his body. Checked feathers, skin, his little legs and butt, everything seems fine. Big beautiful feathers all over.

I dont know if its worth mentioning, but I lost my first rooster last thursday. Was going to clean the little "outdoor safe-house" my cochins has to
sleep in and cover for bad weather (they havent been completely accepted by my vikings yet, so wanted to make sure they would be dry and safe no matter what), and I found him in a corner. He wouldnt move and he struggled breathing (rasping and sad noices),
so i brought him with me inside and sat with him and pet him untill he died. Cried my eyes out the entire time and I now know I dont handle these things very well.
I love them too much.
I realized I hadnt seen him outside that day until I found him, but the day before he showed no symptoms at all and he was just as happy and healthy as always..
So I dont know what happened.. It was so fast..

And one of my other roosters has also started getting shaky?
And of course, these 3 birds that I have mentioned.. my favorites. My babies..(all bantam cochins) So.. slightly panicked.. And I just really hope someone here can help me figure something out before its too late..

Im sorry for all the text, I just wanted to try explain everything..

Going to attach a few photos, but he is much more pale than he looks on camera..

20210823_121229[5227].png
20210917_182723[5223].jpg
20210917_161720[5225].jpg

Hello.

I have a beautiful little bantam cochin that im getting really worried for..
I have been trying to do research, but the more i read, the more lost I feel..
Ontop of that, getting help from a vet isnt an option where I live.
so I really hope maybe someone here will know what to do..

Ok, so *deep breath*, heres some info about my baby..

• 11 weeks
• frizzle bantam cochin.
• I got him at 2 weeks old, along with 10 others (6 of which stayed with me and 5 with my sister).
• very shy and super sweet.
• incredibly beautiful boy, always been the largest of the flock.
• has always been abit.. derpy? groggy? or slow? In his movements and everything else really. Like his brain seem to react slower than the rest..
• from I got him, he has always been shaky. Even under a heat lamp on the highest setting, he still shakes. It never ends its just constant.
It didnt seem normal to me, but he's just always been like that and seemed perfectly healthy with everything else up until now. The other 2 frizzles in our flocks has never been like this either, its just him.. (Is this normal?)
• has always seemed to struggle with jumps/heights.. It's a big difference from the rest. I dont know if its just how he is like the shaking and slowness.

I dont know if these things are just normal, or super slow bad symptoms. I've always been worried about him.
But a few days ago, more things started happening.

• seems to want to lay down more often.. Even when i come with treats and everyone else goes crazy..
• his comb and wattles has become really really pale over these few days.
• today I noticed his eyes are more closed and puffy. He just looked really really tired. Checked on him later, and still no difference.
• nothing else bad externally shows on his body. Checked feathers, skin, his little legs and butt, everything seems fine. Big beautiful feathers all over.

I dont know if its worth mentioning, but I lost my first rooster last thursday. Was going to clean the little "outdoor safe-house" my cochins has to
sleep in and cover for bad weather (they havent been completely accepted by my vikings yet, so wanted to make sure they would be dry and safe no matter what), and I found him in a corner. He wouldnt move and he struggled breathing (rasping and sad noices),
so i brought him with me inside and sat with him and pet him untill he died. Cried my eyes out the entire time and I now know I dont handle these things very well.
I love them too much.
I realized I hadnt seen him outside that day until I found him, but the day before he showed no symptoms at all and he was just as happy and healthy as always..
So I dont know what happened.. It was so fast..

And one of my other roosters has also started getting shaky?
And of course, these 3 birds that I have mentioned.. my favorites. My babies..(all bantam cochins) So.. slightly panicked.. And I just really hope someone here can help me figure something out before its too late..

Im sorry for all the text, I just wanted to try explain everything..

Going to attach a few photos, but he is much more pale than he looks on camera..

View attachment 2836489View attachment 2836491View attachment 2836493
What exactly do you offer your birds to eat each day?

Have you checked him for lice and or mites?

Do you know what Marek's disease is?
Do you know what coccidiosis is?

I feed them high quality chicken pellets and of course whatever greens and yummies i can whenever i can, always make sure to tripple check my list of things i can and cannot feed them (toxic list), have never given them anything i was unsure of..

have checked him for lice multiple times, yes, and havent seen any, but will check again and again!

i know what mareks is, tried to read up on it because i have 2 silkies im always worried for because of that.. but i havent seen any signs of a bent head or blindness i dont know what i should be looking for? uff now im even more scared..

I feed them high quality chicken pellets and of course whatever greens and yummies i can whenever i can, always make sure to tripple check my list of things i can and cannot feed them (toxic list), have never given them anything i was unsure of..

have checked him for lice multiple times, yes, and havent seen any, but will check again and again!

i know what mareks is, tried to read up on it because i have 2 silkies im always worried for because of that.. but i havent seen any signs of a bent head or blindness i dont know what i should be looking for? uff now im even more scared..
What feed do you use?
These greens and yummies are given daily?

What I'm getting at is if you are feeding anything and I mean anything besides a complete balanced age appropriate poultry feed then you are taking away from them getting a balanced diet every time you give it to them.
If you are giving greens and treats everyday it is possible this bird is suffering from an incomplete diet.

How much and how often is the other stuff you are feeding besides what you're calling a high quality chicken pellet.

Can you get clear pictures of fresh poop from this particular bird?

What feed do you use?
These greens and yummies are given daily?
Uhm it is called "FRYD" from a good store in my country (Felleskjøpet). But I live in Norway and I dont know what that would for US.. Its recommended by everyone and farmers that sell both eggs and chicken meat professionally use it here.. We have very strict rules here so it cant be the feed..

And its not always every day. usually it is, but some days I cant get to the store. Did i do something horribly wrong? :(

What I'm getting at is if you are feeding anything and I mean anything besides a complete balanced age appropriate poultry feed then you are taking away from them getting a balanced diet every time you give it to them.
If you are giving greens and treats everyday it is possible this bird is suffering from an incomplete diet.

How much and how often is the other stuff you are feeding besides what you're calling a high quality chicken pellet.

Can you get clear pictures of fresh poop from this particular bird?
Oh they eat the feed every day, I always make sure they have food available! the greens are just extra.. I thought that was a good thing.. I do what my sister does and shes had a healthy flock for over a year now.. we use the same food

Oh they eat the feed every day, I always make sure they have food available! the greens are just extra.. I thought that was a good thing.. I do what my sister does and shes had a healthy flock for over a year now.. we use the same food

As I read your initial post, the first thing that came to mind for me was nutrition. Upon scrolling down, I see that Kiki seemed to be honing in on that as well.

Each bird is different, and some need a bit more than others; yours may be one of those birds, and if he's eating more of the treats than the his balanced feed, you've likely found your culprit: poor nutrition.

You might separate him from the flock for a few days and give him only a commercial, balanced feed and see if he doesn't improve. You might also add some vitamins to his diet to boost his energy and coordination.

As I read your initial post, the first thing that came to mind for me was nutrition. Upon scrolling down, I see that Kiki seemed to be honing in on that as well.

Each bird is different, and some need a bit more than others; yours may be one of those birds, and if he's eating more of the treats than the his balanced feed, you've likely found your culprit: poor nutrition.

You might separate him from the flock for a few days and give him only a commercial, balanced feed and see if he doesn't improve. You might also add some vitamins to his diet to boost his energy and coordination.
but hes one of the few that barely get any treats because hes so shy.. :(

i always make sure my feeders always have plenty of them and ive put them different places in the coop so everyone (even the shy boy himself) always have access.. i even put a small bowl in their own little safe-house that the other birds dont go into, and i know he eats..

i give them salads and greens and grass and whatever is good for them when i can, but i dont give TREATS every day, nono, that would be bad.. i do try to pay attention to that i have a sheet and lists and everything..

Back
Top Bottom