Really?

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
My 14 week old cockerel is running around (being chased by the other 4 birds, of course) with what looks like a small toad hanging from his beak. Do chickens eat toads, or will they just torture it and leave it?

They eat frogs, snakes, lizards, mice, crickets, worms and any other bug or small critter that crosses their path. Chickens are omnivors. They need animal protein in their diet. They love those things as much as greens and cracked corn.

I looked out at them a few minutes later and there was 1/2 of a toad hanging from his beak. LOL!! Funny too, I have a small worm compost bin and had just gone out and given them a nice snack of yummy worms before they found the toad.

My hens caught a toad several years ago and the rest of the chickens were running after her - all the while the poor dead toad hanging from her beak.

I thought it was quite gross...

Chickens eat toads, yes. And the other things MissPrissy said. My mom, sisters, and little brother panic (literally panic!) when they see a hen running around with one hanging out of their mouth. They don't listen to me when I tell them, "That's what they do!"
lol.png

ETA: My mom says that they are being cannibals when they eat toads.
roll.png
I keep trying to tell her that they are like humans - they are omnivores, not just herbivores! And she says that if they don't stop she's going to get rid of them all (meaning the hens)!

Last edited:
About a month or so ago, when my birds were much smaller, there was a great big toad in the fence with them and they all ran away from it. I guess that's why I was surprised to see the little toad hanging from his beak.

Back
Top Bottom