Really?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Robin'sBrood, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My 14 week old cockerel is running around (being chased by the other 4 birds, of course) with what looks like a small toad hanging from his beak. Do chickens eat toads, or will they just torture it and leave it?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They eat frogs, snakes, lizards, mice, crickets, worms and any other bug or small critter that crosses their path. Chickens are omnivors. They need animal protein in their diet. They love those things as much as greens and cracked corn.

3. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    They will most definitely eat it. They may leave a small piece behind!
    Blessings,
    Amy J.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    We used to have tons of toads all around the house.

Now we have chickens, and no sign of any toads.

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I looked out at them a few minutes later and there was 1/2 of a toad hanging from his beak. LOL!! Funny too, I have a small worm compost bin and had just gone out and given them a nice snack of yummy worms before they found the toad.

6. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    My hens caught a toad several years ago and the rest of the chickens were running after her - all the while the poor dead toad hanging from her beak.

I thought it was quite gross...

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Chickens eat toads, yes. And the other things MissPrissy said. My mom, sisters, and little brother panic (literally panic!) when they see a hen running around with one hanging out of their mouth. They don't listen to me when I tell them, "That's what they do!" [​IMG]

ETA: My mom says that they are being cannibals when they eat toads. [​IMG] I keep trying to tell her that they are like humans - they are omnivores, not just herbivores! And she says that if they don't stop she's going to get rid of them all (meaning the hens)!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  8. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    About a month or so ago, when my birds were much smaller, there was a great big toad in the fence with them and they all ran away from it. I guess that's why I was surprised to see the little toad hanging from his beak.

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Are you kidding? Chickens will eat practically everything! [​IMG]

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:As in inside the house??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by