Reasons for a limping duck/injured leg(foot)?

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
5 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
So about three weeks ago (tomorrow will be three exactly) I had a duck show up with what I've been calling a sprained leg. However, when I felt him over (checking both his good foot then bad) I felt nothing wrong with it. No injuries, no bumblefoot, no hotness or swelling, no broken bones.

I've been letting him heal on his own, but it doesn't seem to have gotten much, or any, better. The only difference I have noticed is that the duck has either learned to move around with it or that the leg has gotten a little better...The first day he could scarcely limp around. Now he limps around fine.

I have checked his leg several times after he first got this mystery injury, and nothing has changed. His leg feels 100% normal. I have tried giving him some warm epsom salt baths, but he's only gotten two so far. He doesn't like them so he thrashes a lot, so I have to hold him in the water.

I would think if it were perhaps possible at all that he tore something, like a ligament, or pulled a muscle I would feel something, like hotness. But maybe I am wrong.

He does not have a coop that he goes into at night, so I don't know if I'm going to have to make a makeshift coop to try to get him to rest the leg. Right now, I want to try to let it heal it on its own.

Am I just missing the obvious? I don't know, but all I know is that this has been baffling me...The duck is perfectly fine otherwise. Eating and drinking normal and gets around fine. (His wings aren't clipped so he can fly)

I have had experience with a duckling that once sprained her foot; I remember that it was hot and a little swollen, and she eventually healed fine. I feel nothing with this duck though. He is a male Muscovy, only a few months old.

Is a niacin deficiency a possibility?

As far as sprains go, one of my two young Muscovies sprained his/her (started off very masculine, getting more feminine with time, hence the “his/her”) leg when first learning to fly (or rather, land) a while back. He/she was very lame (holding the affected leg up at rest, hobbling reluctantly when needed) for at least a week with no visible wound and no heat or swelling. After the first week, he/she started showing slow improvement, and he/she is now fully healed, although he/she is nervous about flying now. I gave some Nutradrench in the beginning and supplemented their feed with extra Brewers Yeast for a bit. I don’t think it helped, but time and rest certainly did. I hope your ‘Scovy feels better soon. Keep us updated!

P.S. I read somewhere that one sign of intestinal parasites in ducks is limping? I don’t know if that is legit or not.

P.P.S. Rumor is that crash landings with resulting leg injuries are common in young Muscovies!

Last edited:
Is a niacin deficiency a possibility?

As far as sprains go, one of my two young Muscovies sprained his/her (started off very masculine, getting more feminine with time, hence the “his/her”) leg when first learning to fly (or rather, land) a while back. He/she was very lame (holding the affected leg up at rest, hobbling reluctantly when needed) for at least a week with no visible wound and no heat or swelling. After the first week, he/she started showing slow improvement, and he/she is now fully healed, although he/she is nervous about flying now. I gave some Nutradrench in the beginning and supplemented their feed with extra Brewers Yeast for a bit. I don’t think it helped, but time and rest certainly did. I hope your ‘Scovy feels better soon. Keep us updated!

P.S. I read somewhere that one sign of intestinal parasites in ducks is limping? I don’t know if that is legit or not.

P.P.S. Rumor is that crash landings with resulting leg injuries are common in young Muscovies!

It's possible that he had a crash landing, or landed on it wrong when flying. I do remember that a little while ago, around the time he showed up limping, we heard the neighbors yelling at their dogs, because our ducks will sometimes go into their yard and it could have been he was chased by a dog and landed or did something wrong in panic. (No one was injured though BY the dogs)

I wasn't thinking it was niacin deficiency? Just because he's walking (more limping, but still) around fine. I could always get some brewers yeast, but I don't know.

I suppose time will only tell--if he heals, I can suspect he just landed on it wrong. If not, I'll look into giving him further care. (I may still give him some brewers yeast...but we'll see.) And huh. I'll have to do some research on that about parasites.

Sprains can take 6 weeks or more to heal. As long as it's eating and drinking only time will either heal it or not.

Yes, I am aware of this. I was more making this thread because I was curious to hear what the more experienced duck owners thought it might be. :) I'm hoping he'll heal in another few weeks. Thank you though.

It's possible that he had a crash landing, or landed on it wrong when flying. I do remember that a little while ago, around the time he showed up limping, we heard the neighbors yelling at their dogs, because our ducks will sometimes go into their yard and it could have been he was chased by a dog and landed or did something wrong in panic. (No one was injured though BY the dogs)

I wasn't thinking it was niacin deficiency? Just because he's walking (more limping, but still) around fine. I could always get some brewers yeast, but I don't know.

I suppose time will only tell--if he heals, I can suspect he just landed on it wrong. If not, I'll look into giving him further care. (I may still give him some brewers yeast...but we'll see.) And huh. I'll have to do some research on that about parasites.

Yes, I am aware of this. I was more making this thread because I was curious to hear what the more experienced duck owners thought it might be. :) I'm hoping he'll heal in another few weeks. Thank you though.
Oh...well in my experience it actually could be a cartilage issue or a torn tendon. A Vet would be able to tell you ASAP what is going on.

I had thoughts about a torn tendon, but I wasn't certain. I didn't think of cartilage issues.

Would he still heal in time with either of those, or do I need to give him something? I'm probably not going to take him to the vet unless he doesn't get better with (or without) home treatment--I'm not even certain if there is a vet nearby that would see ducks, or be able to treat them properly.

I had thoughts about a torn tendon, but I wasn't certain. I didn't think of cartilage issues.

Would he still heal in time with either of those, or do I need to give him something? I'm probably not going to take him to the vet unless he doesn't get better with (or without) home treatment--I'm not even certain if there is a vet nearby that would see ducks, or be able to treat them properly.
Possibly can heal on its own. Could be an old injury too that keeps causing it issues. I'd wait.

Back
Top Bottom