Reasons to keep the rooster around ?

cluckincolorado

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 3, 2011
Broomfield, CO
Greetings to everyone,

We're wondering if there are any reasons to keep a rooster in the flock - beyond making chicks.

Last year we had 4 hens, and this year we added a heap more and then suffered from a fox attack 6 months ago.
We now have 7 hens and 3 roosters. 2 of the roosters are going to be processed tomorrow and we're wondering if we should send all 3 roosters over.

I'm wondering if there are any reasons to keep a rooster around. I'm not sure if one rooster could fight off a fox or hawk (both present around here). We are not interested in making chicks.

We have one hen which was injured in the 6 month ago fox attack leaving a small spot on her with no feathers. We've had to separate her to let her recover from a second large wound right behind one wing. We think it was from a rooster mounting and I'm afraid this hen will be injured again when we return her to the flock.

thanks in advance

John

if you dont think he can't fight off the fox...then there isnt any reason to keep him....he takes up space and eats more!...
i have 10 chickens and NO rooster....

welcome-byc.gif

Roos are good for three things - procreation, protection and peacekeeping in the flock.

They will often break up hen to hen fighting.

While it's true that a rooster can't fight off a fox (some roos will fight a hawk), a good roo will warn of a predator, giving the hens time to hide. We had stray dogs show up once and start chasing my hens. While my DH attempted to run the dogs off, I watched my older roo run back and forth in front of the dogs creating a distraction that gave the hens time to hide.

On occasion I'll find a hen is getting her back feathers messed up from the roo's mating. I keep hen saddles/aprons on hand for that reason.

I have two free range flocks. I will always have roos.

I keep roosters mainly because the roosters are my favorites. I adore roosters!
love.gif
Now that my bias is out there, I also keep them around because I do hatch chicks, but even if I wasn't planning on hatching any eggs, I'd still keep some roosters. A good rooster will constantly watch for danger and will alert the rest of the flock if he spots any. Some roosters will also try to fight off predators if they come around. Other good points roosters have are they will help keep the hens from ranging too far away from each other, will find food for the hens, and will make sure all the hens get in the coop (if you keep them in one) at night.

Having said all those good points, all roosters are different, and they won't all do every one of these things; some roosters may not even do any of the things on the list, though I haven't encountered any yet that didn't do at least one. I did have one, however, that would call the girls over all the time like he'd found food just to try and jump them. They soon got wise to him and started ignoring his calls, and, thankfully, said rooster is no longer with me. Some roosters are also people agressive, and I get rid of the really aggressive ones, too.

To me, the benefits and joy I get from having roosters around outweigh the potential for bad. It doesn't hurt that I like to hear them crowing either.
lol.png

Last edited:
Roosters are good for babies and for stewpots.
thumbsup.gif

You occasionally get lucky and end up with a real gentleman, but it's just like dating human men: sometimes you have to wade through a lot of real rotten lemons before you can even think about making lemonade
tongue.png

Quote:
Exactly...A good rooster will take one for the team and buy the hens time to escape...regardless of the attacker.

I agree with this. One of my roos did this last week for a hen.

How come no one has mentioned keeping a rooster for it's lovely crowing?! (Albeit @ 4:30 am I don't consider it lovely!
big_smile.png
)

They are pretty, they are protective, they are peacekeepers.

My roo feeds the girls, finds them nests to lay their eggs, protects them from inanimate objects that could really hurt them (ie: fallen towel, no joke.. has happened).

My roo protects the hens on the bottom of the pecking order.

He makes me laugh and smile on a daily basis.

He must be human friendly though.

Back
Top Bottom