Reassure me that I actually have some Barred Rock Pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pirate96, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Pirate96

Pirate96 New Egg

Mar 9, 2009
    [​IMG][/img]

Supposedly I have 13 Pullets and 2 Roosters. The apparent Roo on the right hand side is throwing me off as it has dark legs and not very light. So for this picture are we looking at 3 hens and a Rooster?

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I can't tell but there is a thread on here somewhere that says if you hang 'em by their necks (like cats do kittens) and they hang their feet.....then it is a hen. If it pulls its feet up....then it is a roo.

I don't know just how true that method is but I just experimented on 20 something chicks, so we'll see.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I am noooo expert but thats what it looks like to me because his comb looks much more red then the others, or is that just the picture?

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:this is an old wives tale.

the spots on the head will show the sex of Barred Rocks. one solid spot, female, more than one or a smudgy set of spots, male.

the two closest to the camera are cockerels i think.

can you get a pic of each of their combs and top of their head?

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Personally, I think they all look a bit rooish. Time will tell.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Can't really tell in that light. Natural lighting is important when sexing BRs because camera flashes change the color some. Males are usually more silvery overall, lighter due to the wider white bars. With BRs, it usually easy to tell by three to four weeks if you have any doubts about a couple. I do see one very red comb, that's for sure!

7. Pirate96

Pirate96 New Egg

Mar 9, 2009
    In that picture they are supposed to be about 4 weeks old. I definitely agree that one is certainly Red. He is very skittish and some of the other ones seem to be much more aggressive but look to be pullets. Just hoping I do not have 15 Cockerels.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You probably have some pullets among the 15, but the light is too bad in the pic to tell except for Mr. Red Comb.

9. DCS

DCS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    At 8 weeks, it was easy for me to tell:

roo:
    [​IMG]

hen:
    [​IMG]

The roos will develop much pinker combs. I can't tell from your pics, although it looks like the one on the right does have a bigger, pinker comb.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by