Rebuilding a bigger run - can hardware cloth support its own "weight" as one big cage?

brickabracker

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2015
I have good, 1/2" hardware cloth, and was thinking of running a, say, 20' length, then folding it as if for a cage, then cutting another piece for a roof, and ziptieing everything together. Do people think that would work or do I need wood as well? Was thinking of doing it as minimalistically as possible. Thanks!

most zipties will only last a year outside, so keep that in mind.

what are you making with this HW cloth cage/tunnel? if it's only 12inches wide it will probably work, if it's 4ft that will make a big difference.

Do you get snow where you are? That will also make a difference in the sag of the roof and pressure in the walls.

A predator climbing on it will probably collapse it if it's not supported.

What is your idea for?

I have good, 1/2" hardware cloth, and was thinking of running a, say, 20' length, then folding it as if for a cage, then cutting another piece for a roof, and ziptieing everything together. Do people think that would work or do I need wood as well? Was thinking of doing it as minimalistically as possible. Thanks!
I wouldn't use plastic zip ties as predators can chew through them and they also deteriorate when exposed to the sun
They do sell metal clips so you can attach pieces together, someone will chime in with the name of them I'm sure. I used firing strips stapled the cloth to one side then put another firing strip on top and screwed them together making a sandwich. Don't know if that will work for your application or not

Hog rings work great. A bit tricky with 1/2" mesh, but you'll get the hang of it. Pretty reasonable on Ebay or Amazon. Once you own the clips and the crimping tool, you will likely find all kinds of uses for them.

61E8-qxho9L._AA160_.jpg

41RxhRkXYTL._AA160_.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really understand how you're planning on forming this structure. I'll just say that hardware cloth is fairly floppy stuff. It's not stiff at all, it is easily bent and it buckles under it's own weight. It is meant to be securely attached to a strong, supporting frame.

I am thinking of a 5 x 4 or 6x3 type run. I have NOT found my hardware cloth ( i have 9 gauge) to be floppy at all; i have found it to be strong enough to support laying something (eg a bucket) on it when in a small cage. So I was thinking of avoiding wood. Seems the consensus here is that its a bad idea?

most zipties will only last a year outside, so keep that in mind.

what are you making with this HW cloth cage/tunnel? if it's only 12inches wide it will probably work, if it's 4ft that will make a big difference.

Do you get snow where you are? That will also make a difference in the sag of the roof and pressure in the walls.

A predator climbing on it will probably collapse it if it's not supported.

What is your idea for?

See below - its for a run. Make a full "cage" out of just hardware cloth and attach it to a very secure coop.

I am thinking of a 5 x 4 or 6x3 type run. I have NOT found my hardware cloth ( i have 9 gauge) to be floppy at all; i have found it to be strong enough to support laying something (eg a bucket) on it when in a small cage. So I was thinking of avoiding wood. Seems the consensus here is that its a bad idea?
I haven't seen 9 gauge before, but if it is then that would be sturdy enough. Not sure on your application here but the size of run you mention would hold two regular size birds max. If you keep your feed and water in the run it will be tight , takes up sq'

Back
Top Bottom