Rebuilding a blue line

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
Long story short, my blue trio fell apart and I'm needing to rebuild my blues. I have a splash hen I hatched out from my original blue pair last summer. She was too small to put in with her sire this spring so I put her in a pen I was pulling whites from. The white cockerel in that pen is recessive white and golden duckwing underneath. Their eggs hatched like crazy and I have a ton of blue chicks. Can I get some nice blues out of these chicks, or will the e+ of the sire cause a lot of leakage? I sold the good blue cockbird that sired the splash, but have a (so far) nice black unrelated cockerel I could breed the blues to.

I would like to know the breed.
Blue what?

I've heard of Iowa Blues and Delaware Blues but there are blue varieties of many other breeds like Blue Jersey Giants, Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, Ameraucana, Andalusians, Araucana, Naked Necks, La Fleche, Langshan and Australorps.

Last edited:
When I do black Xs duckwing the pullets usually come out solid but I do get some with some hackles leakage.
The cockerels have always shown leakage. Ive had some that looked almost duckwing.
Its not been the worse thing when trying to get back to solid. Makes it a bit easier to eleminate some of the duckwing carriers.

The leakage is going to be horrible for some years, but it is possible to achieve clear blue eventually.

Back
Top Bottom