Rebuilding the Flock

Wild Duck

Chirping
Sep 5, 2018
Hi everyone! It’s been a while but I’m in need of the byc family for advice and guidance again. I’ve had ducks for about a year and a half now and I always let them into my fenced in backyard in the morning and put them back into their shelter at night. I work 12 hr days (usually a little longer) and about an hour away from home, so I let them out around 430-5 AM on the days I work and cannot get them back into their safe house until 7 (in the summer I put them back later because the sun is still up).

So last monday I came home and a drake had just completely disappeared. He was my big alpha so I figured he died protecting my egg machines, but he was also one of my two white layers so I figured hawk. The ducks spent a few days in the pen, but I decided ultimately to get them back to free range of the yard after a couple supervised days. Friday, I went back to work, let the ducks out around 5 AM and came home to all my hens torn apart and only one lone drake still alive but badly wounded (neck torn). This was different because the bodies were left but I figured so close in time after so long of being predator free, it has to be the same predator, and I kinda figured raccoons this time. Sure enough after camping out all night Friday and Saturday with the pellet gun, a couple of those garbage pickers have been coming back looking for more. I’m going to kill them, but I’m sure eventually there will be more and I never want this to happen again.

My war torn drake seems to be doing a lot better physically and mentally in the short period of time, but he’s currently alone which saddens us both. I ordered him 3 new hens yesterday, but it will be a couple months before they’re here and ready to live outside with him. I’m scared that time alone won’t be good for him, and don’t really know any steps to take to keep him a happy, friendly duck in that period of time. I still let him out but my german shepherd has been spending most of her time out there with him (especially at night and in the morning). My dog is the gentlest thing under the sky and serves no threat to the duck.

I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this and if they had trouble reinigrating the lone duck into a new flock after time. Also, is there anything I can do to keep my drake occupied abd happy in the meantime? And are there any steps I can take to make sure nothing gets at my ducks again? As always, thanks a ton for reading and any advice or experiences!

How awful for you and your ducks! This is a very sad story! I can tell you that I have my flock of 11 in a 4' fence with netting over every bit of it. I've had a snake attack and a falcon attack which killed 2 of my ducks. That was when the netting went up all over. I made the mistake of thinking that they were too big for a hawk to carry off and didn't consider the flying predator killing in the duck run and eating right there. It was a horrible scene to walk into.

I know there is little you can do about snakes but the other predators out there can be protected against. You can't just let them free range without the risk of this happening and I personally choose not to do that. You don't say where you live but I'm sure there are probably flying predators where you are.

You don't have to have a massive area for the ducks either. I have 2 separate runs and pens and I've got 200' of fencing up basically around each other. It is not a lot of square feet but it is plenty for the 11 ducks I have now. I'll be glad to show you my redneck solution if you want. The main thing is to keep the gang safe!

I am so very sorry :( That is so sad and nothing you ever want to come home to.
A mirror did work great for our duck when she was alone for a bit as well. She would sleep next to it and talk to it, very sad but cute and kept her company.
We keep our ducks contained during the day and let them out to roam in the yard every evening when we can watch them. There are too many loose dogs, predators and hawks here to risk it.
I hope he stays happy and safe and he will be excited when he finally has his new girls :)

@Magnolia Ducks awesome, I did the stuffed animal, I will get him a mirror! And @DuckyDonna I have built a 16’x8’ run for them but I don’t feel thats a great quality of life 24/7. Do you let them free range when you’re home? Thank you guys for the responses!
Please don't take this the wrong way .
How that you have suffer a big loss. Which will be easier to live with. Risk having more lost or having your birds safe and only letting them free range when you can be there

This is a very hard decision. It is quality vs quantity of life. I have had more than my share of eaten waterfowl. I compromised with an electric fence/netting. It's not perfect but has cut down on losses. I can't keep them cooped all the time as I think it limits their life enjoyment. Everyone to their own decision. I don't judge anyone's choice, it's really hard either way.

Back
Top Bottom