received ducklings from Ideal Poultry

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by catriona, May 12, 2009.

1. catriona

catriona New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    Brodnax
    On May 7, I received ducklings from Ideal Poultry. 4 Pekins, 4 Khaki Campbells, 4 cayugas, and 4 swedish babies. One of the cayugas didn't survive shipment. However, the others are all thriving.

One of the cayugas stands out because he reminds me of a magpie. I was wondering what waterer does anyone use to keep them from getting into the water?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    There is no keeping them out of the water. They are ducks - that is what comes naturally.

FYI: Magpies are white with black markings, like a dalmation.

3. WMDAVIS99

WMDAVIS99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Sinking Spring PA
    Someone told me to put marbles in the waterer, they will not eat the marbles, but they can still get the water and do not make a mess, though that is what Ducks do best!

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] You want to keep ducks out of the water??? [​IMG] I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. The only way to keep them out of the water is to give them a container full of marbles with water in so they can only get in up to their eyeballs. They have to be able to submerge their nostrils, that is how ducks keep them clear for breathing.

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Well, there isn't much you can do, unfortunately [​IMG]

I ended up putting my ducklings (also from Ideal) out into the coop at 2 weeks old, simply because I couldn't take the stink and mess anymore. I love them dearly, but just not in my house.

You an try to lessen the mess by putting their waterer into another pan (like a flatish pizza type pan, or something with a low rim) and it will help, but not eliminate all the playing. It's just what they do. I did have a little success with using a one gallon chicken waterer - this helped a tiny bit, but I found them all lined up one behind the other walking around the rim to get at least one foot into the water anyway [​IMG] it was hillarious to watch.

Your best bet is to make the bedding soemthign that can either be easily removed and cleaned often, or make it water absorbant.

Those Horse Stall Bedding Pellets (like Equine Fresh) work good - for awhile. They absorb the water and turn to fluff - but even those need to be cleaned out more often if you have very many babies in the brooder. I also used Puppy Pads, and those can be picked up easily and replaced quickly - but you'll be replacing them often, anyway.

I would A) never use pine shreds or B) never use paper towel - neither would hold up well to a duckling who is intent on being wet.

Other folks have tried using a Milk carton (or similar jug) with holes cut into it so they can get their heads in it, but not their whole bodies. I tried this, and found they would simply tip it over if they were determined, but others have had luck with it.

I also thought about using another smaller plastic bin and making a "door" in it for them to enter/exit and put their water dish inside that, to make clean up easier. I didn't try it, as I got frustrated long before that point and simply put them outside in the coop.

Since my first ducklings (that I tried all of these things on) I have had a lot of call ducklings in the house - not nearly so many at once, so not as bad mess-wise. Mostly I just put up with the mess, and keep cleaning the brooder bin until they can go outside into the coop. I figure it's not very long to live with the mess, and the duckies are so dang cute I am willing to suffer a little for them.

btw - Congrats on the duckies [​IMG] they are so cute and funny to watch.

meri

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I use a gallon milk jug and cut a hole in it large enough for their head but that they can't get their bodies into. Are any of your Khaki Campbells with a crested head? Like a Tuft of hair coming out of their head?? I've got 3 KC's from ideal and 1 of them is crested and she's soooooo cute!!!

7. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Clean & dry with ducklings is impossible but to help I used a pan with cloth hardware over it then set a one quart watering base on top. They drink, wash, play, & poop until it is all gone then I would take it outside & compost it. This makes for a lot of trips but it helped with the mess & smell. I still had to change bedding at least once a day & they went out side fast.

8. catriona

catriona New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    Brodnax
    they are simply adorable. I wish I new how to post pictures. I don't mind the mess or the smell. I change the brooder 3 times a day. It's only in the morning when it smells the worst.

I don't have any crested ducks. My neighbor has one and he is a crested Pekin. I think that it makes them look even cuter.

the cayuga that stand out from the other two looks like the black and yellow was mixed together. I think it makes him or her special.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am using a chick waterer and have it sitting in a plate. So far so good but they have only been here a few hours.

10. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Ducks + Water = Mess
    Pretty simple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by