Received my box of dying chicks today!!

I order from Ideal and have never had a single loss. In four shipments.

As an aside, animal rescuers and rehabilitators do not use honey. People get mixed up and use raw honey, and raw honey contains bacteria that can kill an animal or infant/toddler or baby animal with a weakened gut/immune system. We avoid honey as a recommendation and avoid it's use in general. Many will survive it, too many already weak or young don't.

If you must use some form of sugar for quick rescue energy, agave syrup is now more widely available does not cause the same diabetic dehydration of other sugars. And Light Karo though as tough on the system as sugar, works quicker and digests more simply and is easier on the gut.

Sugar has been used for ages, most often safely. The others are just a tad safer when dealing with infant and dying animals.

The link to safe electrolyte concentrations is correct, pedialyte, the gator-aid dilution, and feed store electrolyte solutions can be diluted and used and in dehydration and heat stress - electrolytes are the major factor.

Without a proper electrolyte balance all the sugar and food in the world will not correct itself.

The temps here have been violently weird and with every five to ten degrees of heat, shipping becomes rapidly less safe.

Millions of chicks are shipped. It's generally the post office that loses them, miss sends them, misroutes them, or handles them roughly or leaves them in the sun or delivers them properly. Most make it. Some don't. Most letters make it from A to B but a surprising amount of mail is lost or destroyed. Sheer numbers.

I'm sorry you lost them. I'm sorry for the distress but in general the hatcheries try and the postal system works. I would use Ideal again but at this point I'm hatching like a demon and don't need them.

It's not normal to lose any much less a whole batch. I feel for you deaths in small numbers are bad enough. Hang in there.

We ordered from Randall Burkey. Shipped Wednesday, expected Friday, arrived Thursday morning, all 47 alive and well except for one silkie with a bum leg/foot. Very pleased, and I would definitely order from them again. They had a great selection, too, and almost all breeds were available as pullets only.

I received my replacement chicks from Meyers on Wed.

It only took two days this time and the weather was cooler. All 13 are active and healthy. This time they put a gel pack of something in there for them to eat.

I don't know if I'll order from them again, or not. I'm sure it was the weather and the fact that it took 3 days to get them.

I will be looking for a closer hatchery, if there is one, or someplace I can drive to that has the variety of chicks I'm interested in.

I sure wish I could have roos and hatch my own babies.

Received my reshipment today and was a little bit pessimistic....BUT, when i got the call and went to the post office, the box was loud with peeps and seemed to be very active then the last shipment. I drove back 20 miles, made last preps on the brooder, adjust lamp, fill waterer, and Opened the box.....

ALL 10 chicks were alive and well !!! YEE HAW! i put them in the brooder and and 7 hours later they seem to all be doing fine........ They are so much more active and alive then the last batch i got (wich were half dead when delivered, and half died within 2 days).

At any rate, just wanted to post my success with the chicks and how happy we are so far. Lets hope they continue to grow, healthy and happy!

thanks!

chris

Continued success for you and your chicks!!! Sounds all good!!
smile.png

My replacements from Meyer shipped Monday I got them yesterday, all alive and far more healthy than the few survivors from the first batch. The first time I could find almost no trace of the gro gel in the box, this time it was obxious there was a lot and the chicks had consumed quite a bit of it.

Also the first batch had a meyer ship tag dated for Monday but they weren't postmarked until Tuesday which mean they sat in the shipping box for an extra 24hrs on Meyers dock. that's really bad in my view, espeically since by the time I got them on Thursday 8 were alive and 3 survived. The replacements were tagged Monday and postmarked Monday.

Minor thing, not really a complaint, just a note, one of the types I ordered was a specific color and of 9 live shicks 4 are a different color variant. My husband was moderately annoyed, but since they are pets not show birds he has decided they are ok looking.

Yeah, I got my healthy replacments, but I won't be ordering from them again.

Quote:
I can never wait. I open the box as soon as I am in the nice warm car. That was a mistake with the ducks last year. Who knew 3 day old duckliings could pop out of a box that fast.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom