Received sick shipped birds - what to do?

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
I recently received a trio of fairly expensive ($225 total cost) birds in the mail from a breeder. When I got them they were lice-ridden, sneezing with snot caked onto their nostrils, and breathing with a gurgling sound. I have had them in quarantine since the 18th, and the lice taken care of with a bath, Frontline and Sevin in the bedding, but the sneezing and gurgling breath and snotty nostrils remains. My question is two-fold:

First, is it typical to receive shipped birds in this condition, and what would you do if you were the buyer?

Second, how would I best treat the sneezing and gurgling breath? I do not plan on moving them near my other birds anytime soon - they are as far away as possible on our 2 acres!

Last edited:
No it's usually not typical to get them like that!!!! You should call the breeder and tell him that 225 dollar birds shouldnt be disease-ridden!
As for the sneezing you might want to get an *expert* to help you.

Have you contacted this "breeder" to see what he/she has to say? I would try to get my money back. I would also cull the birds, and destroy the box they came in.

I would not ever put those birds near my flock. If you bought them online, I would give the person bad feedback at least. Chalk it up as a learning experience. I think there are a lot of trustworthy breeders that you can find on the different breed threads here on BYC. Many good breeders will not ship birds, but some will.

Have you contacted this "breeder" to see what he/she has to say? I would try to get my money back. I would also cull the birds, and destroy the box they came in.

I was hesitant to contact the breeder at first since he is a prominent breeder/exhibitor/judge and I certainly don't want to burn bridges when I am just starting to put together my show quality flock. Everyone else I have talked to has given him glowing praise, but I was thoroughly discouraged when I got them. I did send an email this evening detailing the condition the birds were in when I received them. There was a box full of chicks at the post office right next to my boxes, so I am certainly glad they make the filtered boxes required! I am hesitant to cull them, but will wait to hear what they have to say back.
sad.png

I would not want to cull either!!! I would see if anyone has any information to help sneezing/gurgling first.
Even if he is a judge I would tell him in a kind way that the birds weren't healthy.
May I ask what breed they are??

To treat them I would start them on an antibiotic that you can find at your feedstore--Tylan 50 , Gallimycin, Oxytetracycline, Spectinomycin, or Duramycin10. These will treat respiratory disease such as mycoplasma, coryza, and others. It's scary to think that this guy is probably spreading disease at every poultry show if he is a judge. Here is the disease link if you want to read it: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I was hesitant to contact the breeder at first since he is a prominent breeder/exhibitor/judge and I certainly don't want to burn bridges when I am just starting to put together my show quality flock. Everyone else I have talked to has given him glowing praise, but I was thoroughly discouraged when I got them. I did send an email this evening detailing the condition the birds were in when I received them. There was a box full of chicks at the post office right next to my boxes, so I am certainly glad they make the filtered boxes required! I am hesitant to cull them, but will wait to hear what they have to say back.
sad.png

Unfortunately you are in a tough spot. I understand why you do not want to make waves. However you cannot start your own show flock with sick birds. I'm sure you are aware that many of the respiratory illnesses leave the affected birds carriers, leaving all your birds at risk. I would also never breed from a bird that had ever shown signs of illness even if it had recovered. #1 rule here is cull anything showing any signs of illness, #2 good temperment, then follow the SOP.

See what the breeder has to say. It is possible the shipping stress is what has brought out the symptoms and he wasn't aware of illness (that doesn't excuse the lice). If you decide to cull see if your state does necropsies, so you can hopefully find out what is affecting them.

Unfortunately you are in a tough spot. I understand why you do not want to make waves. However you cannot start your own show flock with sick birds. I'm sure you are aware that many of the respiratory illnesses leave the affected birds carriers, leaving all your birds at risk. I would also never breed from a bird that had ever shown signs of illness even if it had recovered. #1 rule here is cull anything showing any signs of illness, #2 good temperment, then follow the SOP.

See what the breeder has to say. It is possible the shipping stress is what has brought out the symptoms and he wasn't aware of illness (that doesn't excuse the lice). If you decide to cull see if your state does necropsies, so you can hopefully find out what is affecting them.

Very good advice.

Back
Top Bottom