Recent Alchemist Farms Experience?

I know this wasn’t a question for me, but I also own a Cream Legbar. They are one of my favorite breeds! I want more. I own one purebred and one Cream Legbar mix- Kevin. I also had a couple of Kevin’s sisters, and they were super nice.

My purebred, Henri, is a sweet and sassy little thing. She is very mellow too. She is turning three this summer. This is an old picture of her-View attachment 3404268

Kevin is my favorite hen (her and Shelly, of course). She is very sweet and mellow. I just love her-View attachment 3404283

I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for personality wise, but, from my experience, Cream Legbars are very nice birds.
Good to know! I *may* have one afterall. I got 4 chicks from the feed store this week once I canceled my AF order. The feed store carries hatchery chicks and they breed and sell some of their own too; theirs were all together in one pen since they don't hatch too many at a time. I asked for a Bielfelder, but the person pulling them out wasn't quite sure the difference between the Bielfelder and Legbar girls, and I was no help - I just know what the boys vs girls are supposed to look like. At least I'm pretty confident I got one girl this time - whether it's a Bielfelder or Legbar, I don't think I care!

I believe Mount Healthy has Cream Legbars available for this year still. And they have a 3 chick minimum order that starts a bit later in the spring.
When you order fewer than 15 (I think...) there is a "small order" fee. The fee isn't small, it's $30.

I went with them because I don't have room for more than 4 more chicks, and they have the breed I want. So I paid the extra to get what I really want.

Hi there - I'd love to hear about any experiences with Alchemist Farms chicks - both positive and negative, and particularly those who have picked up locally, since that's what I'll be doing.

I ordered 3 guaranteed female chicks from AF that I plan to pick up in 2 weeks, after only getting 3/6 females of sexed chicks from our local feed store, all 3 EEs being cockerels. It didn't occur to me to check reviews here first - I was just so happy to find blue-ish egg layers that were sex-linked (and not just cream legbars) after having more than my fill of unintended cockerels, as well as ones that I could pick up instead of worrying about shipping - losses, minimum numbers (I can only have 3 more birds), and shipping stress.

After seeing a recent thread about possible Marek's in a flock on BYC this week, I remembered that the AF chicks aren't vaccinated, and then started digging further, including searching for threads mentioning Alchemist Farms. There was a thread from 2020 with mostly positive experiences with Alchemist Farms chicks, but two more recent comments from this fall raised concerns about serious illness that potentially could have been from AF chicks, genetic issues, and poor survival rates with AF chicks in general, so now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and take my chances again with a local feed store.

Thoughts?
I ordered chicks from them about 6 months ago, a surprise box of 10 chicks. They sent 13, all of my chicks arrived alive and healthy and have remained so. I ended up with 10 girls and three boys. They are all beautiful birds. I got 2 Silverrudds Blue, 3 moss eggers, 2 welsummers, 2 FBCM’s, 2 Azure Eggers, 1 sage egger, and 1 Ameraucana

My experience with AF has been a positive one.

3683431F-2690-4D55-81B6-CBEB85EB1E3C.jpeg

F5287222-8A7D-4E4C-858C-3AB31A0DFACF.jpeg

93723F7E-EDBE-4EA1-87AB-467600251B23.jpeg

When you order fewer than 15 (I think...) there is a "small order" fee. The fee isn't small, it's $30.

I went with them because I don't have room for more than 4 more chicks, and they have the breed I want. So I paid the extra to get what I really want.
$15 small order fee if 10-24, and $30 fee if 3-9, in case you wanted 10 it’s a better deal lol.

Don't forget true Ameraucans. They lay a wonderful blue egg. Although you'd have to find a breeder for those. I don't know if he is still in the biz but Paul Smith from Tx has very nice birds.
I ended up with an Ameraucana (true, not EE, as far as I know) this time from a feed store that will take them back and rehome them if I end up with cockerels. I meant to get two just in case, but accidentally ended up with one of the olive or sage eggers instead. I realized it before I left (same color but this one has feathered legs and no cheek puffs - big tip-off), but there was a lot going on and in the moment, I decided I was ok with that.

I’m currently dealing with a disappointing experience from them..ordered 10 chicks and 5 have died. One was DOA, three more hours later and just now (day 2) another. Their chicks aren’t cheap by any means. I’m pretty well versed in chicken keeping at this point in my life and they’re being very well cared for. Probably won’t be ordering from them again and just lost out on so much money as they don’t refund.

I’m currently dealing with a disappointing experience from them..ordered 10 chicks and 5 have died. One was DOA, three more hours later and just now (day 2) another. Their chicks aren’t cheap by any means. I’m pretty well versed in chicken keeping at this point in my life and they’re being very well cared for. Probably won’t be ordering from them again and just lost out on so much money as they don’t refund.
Ugh - I'm so sorry. I think I remember that they guarantee live arrival for shipped ones, but that would only take care of the one DOA - not the 4 other that youv'e lost in such a short time! I certainly hope your remaining 5 ones turn out to be hardy and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom