Recent dog attack, now a blind rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by denco5, Mar 14, 2013.

1. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    On Monday I had a dog attack on my chickens, came home to 13 dead birds all over the yard. No obvious injuries just feathers and birds strung out over my one acre property. Sad say that's for sure.

I found the other 12 all hiding in various places. Three had some serious head swelling, so bad that there eyes were all swelled shut. I have doctored them the best I can and now the swelling is going down, all of the eyes are open now, swollen but open.

My concern is that now my rooster is blind and I fear one of the cochins as well. Has anyone ever had a short term vision loss due to trauma or is it usually gone for good? I am hopeful it returns but don't want to get my hopes up if it's not common.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

2. 1 Happy Hen

1 Happy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    I had a few chicks that was attacked by a hawk. One was a cockrel that lost one eye and I thought the other would be blind. He was in shock for 3 days, didn't move or eat. Couldn't see at all (because of the shock). Later that week he began to move around and eat a little. It took a couple of weeks to return to a good state. He can only see out of 1 eye now.
    The other chick was bleeding from the corner of 1 eye where the tallon punctured. I thought she would be blind but after a couple of days she was normal. Super skittish but normal.
    I am thinking that maybe they are still in shock.

3. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    OK I hope so, thanks for responding and caring.

Dennis

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    So very sorry about your loss, that just sucks and there's no way around it!

But to give you a little hope, we had a rooster who over time lost vision in both eyes. We never found out why, and didn't even know he was fully blind for some time. He lived a fine life with us - just never strayed far from the coop and didn't fly up to the roost at night (duh, he couldn't find it, LOL) So if you do end up with your birds being blind, don't despair, they will just need some extra attention and love from you and can continue to be part of your flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by