Recently hatched Thursday 05/16/2024 cannot stand up.

Leeander

Hatching
May 16, 2024
Hello, I am looking for some help regarding a recently hatched chick who appears to be unable to stand up, I do not know how to effectively water it, I am incredibly fearful that I will not be able to help the poor thing. Please any tips to help me feed and water it!

If not feed and water it, what steps should I take?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    212 KB · Views: 25
If it was just hatched yesterday, they usually just sleep a lot the first day or two. Have you seen it try to walk or hasn't it even tried?

Take a look at its legs and see if they are spread apart more than the other chicks' legs. It may have splayed legs which you can fix, but we can explain that after you take a look to see if that's even the issue.

To give it water, just take it to the water container and you might have to touch it's beak to the water at first if it doesn't do it itself. I'd just sprinkle some crumbles around it.

If it was just hatched yesterday, they usually just sleep a lot the first day or two. Have you seen it try to walk or hasn't it even tried?

Take a look at its legs and see if they are spread apart more than the other chicks' legs. It may have splayed legs which you can fix, but we can explain that after you take a look to see if that's even the issue.

To give it water, just take it to the water container and you might have to touch it's beak to the water at first if it doesn't do it itself. I'd just sprinkle some crumbles around it.
What gives me hope is it's very loud, and whenever it can it's basically jumping around weakly and rolling in a really sad way. I am checking for splayed legs. I'm hoping to all thing's good it's just tired.

EDIT-

I've taken a picture of its legs I am not sure if they're splayed or not but they seem to be very wide apart

Attachments

• photo_2024-05-17_02-09-34.jpg
    photo_2024-05-17_02-09-34.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1
I'd give the chick some selenium and possibly splint the legs. I've never done it, but I have read articles on it. You might want to Google it.

What gives me hope is it's very loud, and whenever it can it's basically jumping around weakly and rolling in a really sad way. I am checking for splayed legs. I'm hoping to all thing's good it's just tired.

EDIT-

I've taken a picture of its legs I am not sure if they're splayed or not but they seem to be very wide apart
Yes, that's splayed legs.

What I did was cut a narrow strip of vet wrap, about 1/4" and wrapped one end around one leg down toward the foot, then brought it around to go around the other leg but keeping the distance between the legs so they are straight down from the body. Some do this with a bandaid. It took about 3 days. I would take it off for a few minutes a couple of times a day, then put a new one back on.

What I did was cut a narrow strip of vet wrap, about 1/4" and wrapped one end around one leg down toward the foot, then brought it around to go around the other leg but keeping the distance between the legs so they are straight down from the body. Some do this with a bandaid. It took about 3 days. I would take it off for a few minutes a couple of times a day, then put a new one back on.
Thank you so much, I will start this treatment right away and get back to you on results over the next few days

Good news, right when I got the supplies for this in the morning. I came back to see it standing on both legs with it's two other recently hatched siblings. It seemed it was more of a matter of time than treatment luckily, but should any chicks that feet are splayed I will be ready. Thank you for the help.

Back
Top Bottom