Recently there have been several posts on reforming your rooster

Party_Chicken - would you agree with this idea? This cockerel is not bird he was as a chick. I hope you enjoyed the darling when he was a chick, they generally are so much fun. But that is not the same bird you have now, you have given him a good life, all he needs is a quick moment and you and your hens will be relieved.

Seriously, the broomstick method is so fast, and then it is over. One generally has very poor luck with re homing, and what reason do your hens and yourself need to be punished by a bird that has been treated nice.

good luck, it will be a relief with him gone. Just a pleasure to go spend time with the girls. There is a BO there, that might go too. We will see if she settles down now.

Mrs K
I want what’s best for him but I couldn’t kill him. I don’t want him to hurt anyone but I want him to be happy and live a good long life. I would never forgive myself for killing him even if it was the right thing to do.

I would never forgive myself for killing him even if it was the right thing to do.

How odd. I would think you and others, and other birds would be more important than that. But people look at life and death differently. In my world, he has lived a long and good life, with a quick end. But I do know that others don't feel that way.

Wishing a rooster would be nice, won't work. Do be careful with other people, as they may not like being hurt. Especially children.

Mrs K

How odd. I would think you and others, and other birds would be more important than that. But people look at life and death differently. In my world, he has lived a long and good life, with a quick end. But I do know that others don't feel that way.

Wishing a rooster would be nice, won't work. Do be careful with other people, as they may not like being hurt. Especially children.

Mrs K
I think you are right. He is a problem and has to be dealt with. I have a friend who might want to take and process him. I hate doing this so much. I had a failure to thrive chick that died and it was horrible for me.

I wonder if you are holding your self to an impossible standard. Would you judge others as harshly as you are judging yourself? The failure to thrive is not your fault, and neither is a mean bird. I mean there is a difference between being a horrible person who starves or beats their animals, and one that tries their best, and have animals that don't work out.

Believe me, we all make enough real mistakes, there is no point in feeling horrible for things out of our control. The way a cockerel is out of our control, to be honest, I think it is beyond his control. They have a very small brain and are largely hormonally driven. I know there are articles people post that blame the people keeping them, but a lot of experienced keepers remove problem birds and enjoy their flocks. It is a part of keeping chickens.

Mrs K

I don't have problems with roosters, and don't get attacked. I also don't have kids that tease or get a rooster to chase them, (not saying you did, but this does happen.) I myself never offer a boot to attack, or ward them off with a broom. I think that most attacks happen because someone fears a rooster. Even if they don't offer a boot or a broom, if they run from the rooster it triggers the rooster to chase. I once took a rooster from a lady who had a grandson that was getting attacked. He tried it on me one time only I picked him up and carried him about and then sat him on the ground wings pinned and treated him like a hen, even tugged his comb a bit. I did not hurt him, but if he came over, I would pick him up, if not and he stayed away that was fine too.

I don't know, I have had chickens for years, had some great roosters, some rotten roosters, and some in between. So Jimmie birdies - I think you must have been lucky, maybe not, but I have tried those techniques and really not that great of luck.

I just hesitate to blame someone who has basically treated the birds the best they could and have a rotten one and are made to feel guilty for it.

I just dispatched one, could I have lived with him, maybe. But I have grandchildren and I don't want them attacked. They are not mean, don't chase them, but they are quick and with me. No rooster is worth it to me. I like enjoying my flock.

Mrs K

I wonder if you are holding your self to an impossible standard. Would you judge others as harshly as you are judging yourself? The failure to thrive is not your fault, and neither is a mean bird. I mean there is a difference between being a horrible person who starves or beats their animals, and one that tries their best, and have animals that don't work out.

Believe me, we all make enough real mistakes, there is no point in feeling horrible for things out of our control. The way a cockerel is out of our control, to be honest, I think it is beyond his control. They have a very small brain and are largely hormonally driven. I know there are articles people post that blame the people keeping them, but a lot of experienced keepers remove problem birds and enjoy their flocks. It is a part of keeping chickens.

Mrs K
I love my flock an want whats best for them and I know my rooster is causing problems. I wish I could be the kind of person that could flip a switch and cull a cockerel. I want do do everything I can to help them. But today when I was feeding them he jumped at me and hit my buff orpington with leg problems. He knocked her to the ground she was fine but that was his final straw I had given him so many chances and he hurt her. He will be removed as soon as possible. I will always put death as a last resort for my birds. Thank you for helping me realize that I need to be the bigger person and put my wants aside for the best of my family and my flock.

Back
Top Bottom