Recessive White Rooster, babies are blue?

shaw613

Songster
Oct 27, 2019
Northeast Colorado
I hatched a small batch of ameraucanas ... the rooster is recessive white; I raised him and he was a smoky white baby. The hens paired him with were black (2), blue (1) and lavender (1). The lavenders hatched to black as I expected, however all the rest are blue. Not that I'm unhappy, just surprised. I expected maybe one or two blue from the pairings, and mostly black chicks. Is this possible? What a fun puzzle these chickens are :). Thanks all for your expertise.

Last edited:
Your rooster could very well be blue underneath the white : D do you know who his parents were by chance?
I got him from cackle, one of their blue layer surplus special. (I got blue, black and lavender pullets plus him). Honestly was thankful to get him as I lost the blue rooster I had purchased from a breeder. No idea at all what his breeding is, but sure surprised this morning to get so many blues. I thought white recessive was two copies ... Does it mean white dominant over blue? Even the eggs from the blacks hatched blue ... Thanks

I got him from cackle, one of their blue layer surplus special. (I got blue, black and lavender pullets plus him). Honestly was thankful to get him as I lost the blue rooster I had purchased from a breeder. No idea at all what his breeding is, but sure surprised this morning to get so many blues. I thought white recessive was two copies ... Does it mean white dominant over blue? Even the eggs from the blacks hatched blue ... Thanks
Yes, if he’s recessive white, he has two copies of the gene. Two copies covers anything underneath, while one copy doesn’t show up at all.

Same thing happened with my recessive white silkie, when I bred him to black and splash.
He is "hiding" blue underneath I discovered when he threw blue chicks with the black hen and splash chicks with the splash.😊

Back
Top Bottom