1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recipe for broiler starter - Help?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Excluss, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Excluss

Excluss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Hello there chicken lover's.

I have been doing research about a good starter poultry recipe for broilers.
    Now I have researched on a number of sites that have a few recipes.

Where I live (Kenya) we have the poorest feed quality at extreme prices, but this poor feed quality we still manage to turnaround 1.2kg broilers in 4-5 weeks.
    Here a bag of food (70KG) is around 4,000 kenyan shillings ($40).
    I believe I have a good recipe but does anyone have another recipe or something to add?

Ingredients Weight
    Shelled Corn
    30 KG​
    Roasted Soybeans
    20 KG​
    Oats
    5 KG​
    Fish Meal
    5 KG​
    Aragonite(calcium)
    1 KG​
    Multi vitamens
    1 KG​
    Peas
    5 KG​
    Seaweed
    3 KG​

Total
    70 KG​

The total protein content is roughly %24, the other feeds here for sale are %19 max.

2. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    That looks a little heavy on the seaweed but should be good. The birds will tell you if you need to make adjustments. Anything they don't need from the seaweed will just make your compost pile that much better.

We haven't had a lot of luck giving 24% to broilers. Turkeys do great on it though. We give 21% to chickens in the brooder and 19% on the pasture.

I'm glad to see someone trying this there. Tyson can freeze chicken and it's hard to compete with that. Egg production in Africa has some real possibilities if you can find local, sustainable and economical feed options.

3. Excluss

Excluss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Okey thank you, But it will be quite hard testing it due to theres only a 4 week turnaround period from start to finish. I could always compare weights of chickens on ready brought feed vrs mine.

Yep that is very true, there are many opportunities here in africa, especially chicken and eggs. Trouble is investment on that large scale. But $10k would do a very nice opperation.
    About finding the feed at the right price all year round, grow your own and make it, or buy 6 months stock at a time :). Where are you based may I ask?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by