Recipe for pickled quail eggs?

Quote:
Your supposed to pickle them before they hatch!
lau.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist!
gig.gif

Quote:
I didn't pickle any yet, shortly after I started this post I ran into some trouble with the city and I had to get rid of most of my quail. I have a few left and will be trying the recipe when I get back from vacation. I will definitely post how they came out. I was excited until I got the visit a couple days later, things have quieted down around here and I should be able to have an answer in a few weeks.

Hrm... Well, the recipe says to ladle the brine and spices into the jars, so I think it's safe to assume you can leave the onions in there, of course if you wanted to you could remove them, but it's probably part of the waiting process to infuse all of the flavors. the onlions would just get pickled too
smile.png
. I can't wait to try this out.
droolin.gif

Oh no huntercf! Not fun at all... what happened?

In regards to the onions, I believe you leave them in there like with pickles.
In regards to the city, one of my neighbors complained that my quail were making too much noise and the city left a note on my door that said no fowl in the city. I had checked the municode before I got them and it didn't say anything, however I didn't know about the separate zoning laws and I was technically not allowed to have them because my lot size wasn't big enough, yet I could have 3 large dogs, 3 cats and a potbellied pig. I got rid of about 90 coturnix quail and it has been alot quieter at night (except for the neighbors dogs, go figure). So I haven't heard back from anyone, I even called the number on the notice and the police told me that AC would call me back, they never did. A friend of mine who works on the police dept checked with AC and they said that I could keep my birds, at least for now unless the neighbor complains again. Hopefully they don't because I got rid of most of the coturnix and there isn't any noise coming from my property at night, even during the day the wild birds drown out the sound of my birds, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I am definitely looking forward to pickling some eggs, I just got a little sidetracked with the notice, I was pretty depressed for awhile but hopefully I won't hear from them again and I can start pickling soon.
I will post the outcome, probably in a few weeks because I am going on vacation.

I hope you have a great vacation! Are you in CA? I thought I saw somewhere you were looking for permits, if you get them would you be allowed to have the quail? I understand about having to live with neighbors... but maybe figure out what neigbor complained and move the birds to the other side of the yard? I'm not sure... Just this last year we moved out of the suburbs... I'm so glad to be able to avoid neighbors that can hear your converations!!! Best of luck, and if you are near me and I have extra eggs (when they sart laying) I'm willing to share!!

Sarah

Quote:
Thanks holachicka, I am in CA, I put in for a game breeder's permit, it is needed in order to keep valley, gambel & mountain quail, and also chukars. I recently hatched 4 gambels so I will need it if I want to keep them over 30 days, it should be here this week. I appreciate the egg offer, I am down in Fontana and I still have about 20 coturnix so I am good on the eggs for pickling and sushi, I haven't ever eaten bobwhite eggs but I get quite a few of those as well.

Interesting enough, the neighbor who lives next to the quail pen actually liked the birds and the noise, it reminded him of back on the farm where he grew up. He says now he misses the noise.

Back
Top Bottom