Recipe for pickled quail eggs?

Mine have not even hatched yet... but I've been looking at recipes!!! Type in spicey pickled quail eggs in the search field, and you'll find the recipe I've been
droolin.gif
over!!!

Thanks holachicka, I'll give it a try, I have quail eggs coming out my ears.
cool.png

Nope, It's another
smile.png
I actually tried to do a search for it, and can't find it anywhere... I'm guessing the thread got closed...
hu.gif
LUCKILY When I saw it, I copied it to a word doc and saved it...
big_smile.png
Here it is!

Cindy’s Spicy Pickled Quail Eggs

Instructions

In enameled or stainless steel saucepan, add all ingredients except eggs and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep for at least two hours.
To easily hard boil & peel all fresh eggs, even right from the coop:
Bring water in 3 qt saucepan to a rolling boil. Place eggs in pot on slotted spoon or ladle. Some eggs may crack but they should still be ok. I do remove any unsightly ones. Boil quail eggs for 10-12 minutes, chicken eggs for 14-15 minutes. Pour hot water off and replace with cold water. Keep switching water out until eggs are cool. You can use ice cubes but cold tap water usually works just fine. Transfer eggs to colander once cool.
Peel eggs in a bowl of cold water and shells should slip right off, even fresh ones from the coop/pen. For quail eggs, remove membrane. It’s ok to leave them on but once pickled in the jars, it will look sloppy.

Pack approximately 23-25 quail eggs per jar (jars should be sterilized and hot at this point). Ladle hot liquid and spices over eggs and wipe rim of jars clean with a damp towel leaving ½” headspace. Place lids on the jars and screw on band tops. Process jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes (once water returns to a boil). Remove from the hot water and set aside to cool. Jars should seal as they cool. Any jars that do not seal properly should be refrigerated and consumed within 2 weeks.

Allow properly sealed jars to sit at least 5 weeks before eating. OK to eat sooner but flavors don’t fully combine until at least 5 weeks. For stronger flavor, poke holes in eggs with a toothpick before placing in the jars. Refrigerate after opening. Update 7/13/09: I just opened my last jar that I made in Feb and it was the best one yet.

Yield: 2 pints
Ingredients
• 4 dozen Quail eggs
• 3 cups white vinegar
• 4 teaspoons canning/pickling or sea salt
• 1 heaping TBSP Cayenne pepper
• 6 garlic cloves, crushed
• 12-15 Peppercorns
• 10-15 whole allspice
• One large yellow or small white/red onion, thinly sliced
• 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
• Thin slice of fresh ginger root
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 fresh hot peppers, such as Serrano, Tabasco, or Habanero sliced.
• 10-15 slices of pickled jalapeno slices (or more to taste)
• Fresh parsley
• Fresh thyme
• Fresh dill (optional)
• Feel free to add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce or Habanero hot sauce

Note: Brine may make be enough to make a third pint so don’t hesitate to boil more eggs. Top jars off with vinegar if you run just a little short.

Thanks holachicka, I can't wait, I believe next weekend is pickling time!
wee.gif

Quote:
Whichever recipe you end up using... YOU GOTTA let me know how it turns out!!!
big_smile.png
I am really hoping for a tried and true recipe!!

I am super lazy, so I've just thrown the boiled and peeled quail eggs into a jar of claussen pickle juice after all of the pickles have been eaten. Sometimes for fun I add a few jalapenos to the jar as well. Let them steep in the pickle juice for two weeks and they're pretty darn tasty!
smile.png

maybe a dumb question, but I've never pickled anything. Do you leave all the pieces of onion and stuff in the jar with the eggs or do you strain it out as you pour the liquid into the jars?

Back
Top Bottom