Recipies for Feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, Feb 24, 2012.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Hey all,

I am in the process of trying to find alternative protien for my broiler feed. Currently use soy meal and it is fine. But I have a small family store that would like to purchase 600 birds per year possibly more but their one requirement is no soy in the feed. I don't use bone meal nor do I want to.

So I have some recpies and and one of the recipies calls for Crab Meal and Fish Meal. Is there a difference? My mill carries fish meal but I have never heard of the other and neither have I.

Here are a couple of the recipies: I am open to any suggestions

Broiler Starter Grower:
    19.7% Protein:
    Corn = 515
    Winter Peas = 600
    Sunflower Meal = 500
    Wheat = 250
    Vegetable Oil = 50
    Vitamin Pack = 60 (Fertrell Nutribalancer = http://www.fertrell.com/poutrynurtibalancer.htm
    ) Or some type of vitamin pack
    Calcium = 25

Broiler Starter Grower:
    19.4% Protein:
    Corn = 500
    Winter Peas = 525
    Sunflower Meal = 400
    Crab Meal = 150 (Guessing same as Fish Meal)
    Wheat = 280
    Vegetable Oil = 75
    Vitamin Pack = 60 (Fertrell Nutribalancer = http://www.fertrell.com/poutrynurtibalancer.htm
    )Or some type of vitamin pack
    Calcium = 10

Broiler Starter Grower:
    19.8% Protein:
    Corn = 600
    Winter Peas = 500
    Sunflower Meal = 350
    Crab Meal = 100 (Guessing same as Fish Meal)
    Fish Meal = 75
    Wheat = 280
    Vegetable Oil = 50
    ) or some type of vitamin pack.
    Calcium = 15

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Here is the recipe I have used:
    1062# corn
    50# Alfalfa Meal
    40# Calcium
    100# Distillers Grain
    40# Fish Meal
    8# Kelp
    50# poultry 50 vitamin base
    150# linseed meal
    400# Canadian Peas

I only did one batch of 50 using this feed. They grew slower than their soy fed conterparts, but where very, very active. Hands down more active than any CX I have ever raised. I fed the 800 pounds of feed in 9 weeks and the average weight was a little over 3 1/2 pounds which was disappointing. Also, the meat tasted "different". I will warn you not to use more than 5% total fish meal. More than that and the meat will have a fishy taste. I could taste some fishyness in the skin of these. After all that, the feed was about double the cost of soy based feed. I haven't done another batch using this ration. I sought this out for the same reason you are (customer requested), but came to the conclusion it isn't worth it.

3. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Thanks bigred,

I have been finding the cost will not justify the switch. And for the volume the client was talking I opted against it. I will stick to my current ration.

Plus I cant get peas, fish meal and some other things

4. birdman1960

birdman1960 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    north central cheeseland
    do you have a local feed mill that can grind custom mixes for you? if so, they should have a nutritionist on staff to help you get the blend you are looking for...

5. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    I had a ration figured up that was using as many alternitive (By product) protein sources as I could get in- in MAX ammount for my birds-- It didnt' seem to work too bad- but I didn't get the growth, performace, or egg laying abilty (mainly maturity pattern) that I had expected..

ENded up trashing it, and going back to the feed mill's ration.

6. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I'll second Big Red's comment. My local feed mill warned me against using too much fish meal as they will have a fishy taste and smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by