Reclaimed wood coop

nfluencial

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Crestview, FL
This is my first coop. Its 7'7"x7'7" will have a decent run to it also. Wood is reclaimed from an old deck and part of a plant rack from an old shed. I will have to purchase a few pieces to complete it.
2yba7yge.jpg

Thank you! I keep having to tell myself "it's just for chickens" because I keep thinking of ways to reinforce the floor joists to handle the weight lol.

Thank you! I keep having to tell myself "it's just for chickens" because I keep thinking of ways to reinforce the floor joists to handle the weight lol.
Yes it will be VERY heavy - I built a 4 x 4 coop and that thing is massive. Every amount of reinforcement along the legs you can do is very good. And if you get high winds you can run some wire up through the roof and tie it down with T posts sunk on either side (drill holes in T posts and twist wire through the holes)- that is what I did.

Last edited:
Quote:Yes it will be VERY heavy - I built a 4 x 4 coop and that thing is massive. Every amount of reinforcement along the legs you can do is very good. And if you get high winds you can run some wire up through the roof and tie it down with T posts sunk on either side (drill holes in T posts and twist wire through the holes)- that is what I did.
I live in nw Florida so high winds happen here during some of our nasty storms. Thanks for the anchoring tips. I will definitely put that knowledge to good use.

Quote: I live in nw Florida so high winds happen here during some of our nasty storms. Thanks for the anchoring tips. I will definitely put that knowledge to good use.
They also sell those dog kennel stakes that are spiral - but I have found that sinking a T post way down is very strong if the soil turns dry. You could even go with concrete mix poured into the hole too. I don't like to sink the actual coop posts in the ground due to rot. I have mine sitting on concrete blocks so it can theoretically be moved and the wood won't rot so badly.

Back
Top Bottom