Recommendations for incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PineOaksFarm, Sep 16, 2009.

1. PineOaksFarm

PineOaksFarm New Egg

Sep 14, 2009
    Well I think I've finally talked my dh into getting me an incubator. I've been looking at the Brinsea and Suro 20. Since he's made it clear this is my interest and not his I would like it as failproof as I can get taking into account I work fulltime and sometimes have to travel. So I definitely want one with an automatic turner. I love the digital controls and favor the Suro over the Brinsea so far because of the humidity controls. Does anyone have any comments one way or the other regarding these or would you recommend another type? I'm only interested in doing some small hatches, and hopefully also some turkeys in the spring. Am I on the right track or should I look at more? [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd be a little nervous if I wasn't around to keep watch on my incubators....no matter how fool-proof they're supposed to be. Can you work the timing of your hatches around your travel schedule?

3. PineOaksFarm

PineOaksFarm New Egg

Sep 14, 2009
    Unfortunately between work and my folks it's not always that easy [​IMG] My dh would jump in if say the power flickered and the controls need resetting or something else drastic happened but he doesn't want to turn eggs . (And I wouldn't miss the actual hatching if I didn't absolutely have to)

4. cbiblis

cbiblis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Murphy,NC
    Well at less than 60watts you could put it in you car with a inverter and bring it with you. [​IMG] I personally would never spend that much money on a small incubator. for 50 bucks more you can get a 600 egg incubator with a hatching tray.

5. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:Well, yes but how often do you hatch out hundreds of chicks and what do you do with them? I suppose for a chicken farm or commercial operation that is definitely the best buy but for a hobbyist, you want just the opposite, a really high quality small unit.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    TURN-X!!! I love the Turn-X incubator.

7. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I've read good things about the Suro here on BYC and the Brinsea is highly rated too.

I have the R-Com 20. All digital. Lights and sound alert you if the lid isn't on, if it needs water and when the eggs are turning.

It heats up quickly and holds temperature perfectly. You add water by lifting a plug marked "water" without touching the eggs.

Mine was used, so I did verify the temperature with a medical thermometer and made an adjustment.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the models you are looking at!

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
  9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I have a Brinsea Eco 20 and love it. It's pretty much fool proof; just add water every few days. I hatched out a clutch a couple of months ago and got an 8 out of 10 hatch. Great bator

10. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:I have been waffling back and forth between the RCOM 20 and the Suro for a while now. The RCOM20 looks more compact-I like that. But how do you clean it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by