Recommendations for online chick buying?

So, where are you located @Chicken101-07? Maybe you can pick some up. You can order through your local feed store most likely, or pick up chicks at the TSC or other farm store when they get them in.

I’ve gotten shipped chicks 2x, two different sources. One box of 25 arrived all DOA -mishandling by USPS. The other box arrived 17 hours after expedited shipping (for which we paid extra) and 4 died within a few days, and a few were looking poorly, at least in part due to shipping stress. We prefer to pick up chicks in person to lessen the stress on the chicks. Even if you get chicks from a farm store that may have had chicks shipped, they take the loss on any sickly or dead chicks. You get to pick out lively chicks from their bins.

good luck!

I've had excellent success with ordering from Meyer Hatchery, 10 times even. One shipment had a faulty warm pack in cold weather. Those chicks were nearly all DOA but Meyer replaced them at no additional charge - and sent extras.

One other thing I really like about Meyer is that they have what they call a "Meal Maker" option under which they send you an extra chick of a different breed but similar type at no charge. You agree to donate the meat or eggs from that chick to a needy family or organization that helps the needy. I can't tell which eggs come from the "Meal Makers" specifically so I just donate a few eggs a week to the very large family next door.

When I got CornishX meat birds, that was easy to figure out which was the "Meal Maker" for donation.

So, where are you located @Chicken101-07? Maybe you can pick some up. You can order through your local feed store most likely, or pick up chicks at the TSC or other farm store when they get them in.

I’ve gotten shipped chicks 2x, two different sources. One box of 25 arrived all DOA -mishandling by USPS. The other box arrived 17 hours after expedited shipping (for which we paid extra) and 4 died within a few days, and a few were looking poorly, at least in part due to shipping stress. We prefer to pick up chicks in person to lessen the stress on the chicks. Even if you get chicks from a farm store that may have had chicks shipped, they take the loss on any sickly or dead chicks. You get to pick out lively chicks from their bins.

good luck!
I am near charlotte NC,I have checked with 3 TSC and they have no light brahma,and in order to do it online you need to order 10 chicks and they are expensive,120 dollars for the order I believe

I am near charlotte NC,I have checked with 3 TSC and they have no light brahma,and in order to do it online you need to order 10 chicks and they are expensive,120 dollars for the order I believe

Since you have a specific breed you desire, then check here. They may have a breeder directory:

http://www.americanbrahmaclub.com/

Since any hatchery or breeder or person that ships chicks is required to be NPIP, check by state here:

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

The stock codes for regular size Brahma are:
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.52.30 AM.png

I used code "R19" to search NC and SC documents. NC came up with non. However, you are near the border of SC, so maybe these are drivable. Here are the 3 places that came up in SC. The R19 is highlighted bc that is what I searched for. You can do more searches on other Brahma types if you wish.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.54.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.54.01 AM.png

Good Luck

We have Brahmas that are nearly 7 weeks old. Here they are at 6 weeks:

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.15.44 AM.png

We picked up at an Ohio Hatchery (Eagle Nest Poultry) because it is closer to us than Meyer. However, I've picked up chicks at Meyer once from their "extras" bin.

Since you have a specific breed you desire, then check here. They may have a breeder directory:

http://www.americanbrahmaclub.com/

Since any hatchery or breeder or person that ships chicks is required to be NPIP, check by state here:

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

The stock codes for regular size Brahma are:
View attachment 2078780

I used code "R19" to search NC and SC documents. NC came up with non. However, you are near the border of SC, so maybe these are drivable. Here are the 3 places that came up in SC. The R19 is highlighted bc that is what I searched for. You can do more searches on other Brahma types if you wish.

View attachment 2078783View attachment 2078784

Good Luck
Thank you for this information!

I just checked on Meyer Hatchery and 3 female Light Brahma chicks with shipping (no, you do NOT need to order 10 minimum) is $46.94 before sales tax. light brahma.png 3 lt brahma shipping.png If you are looking for started pullets though, that could easily run $120!

Back
Top Bottom