Recommendations for online chick buying?

Meyer Hatchery is fantastic. I've ordered 60 chicks from them before and only had two that didn't make it. In 2018 we ordered hatching eggs. Every experience with this hatchery has been a good one. Just be sure to opt in for vaccinations if you're getting day old chicks.

How many chicks would y'all recommend for a newbie like me to get?I only need 1 male to make it to adulthood,I'm hoping to trick a hen when she gets broody and starts hatching eggs,just put the chicks under her and hope for the best,if this doesn't work I will not know what to do,I have an old heat lamp but don't know how to care for chicks when they are not under a hen,I have never done it.šŸ˜Ŗ

If you have a heat lamp, food and water... there's not much to it. You ever go to tractor supply and see the chicks they have for sale? They're just in big water troughs. The main thing they need is that heat, and plenty of it. But they're smart critters, they know how warm they want to be and will form a circle around the edge of the light at the temperature they like. If they're all right under the light, then it needs to be a bit lower.

As for dropping them under a broody hen... you better make sure she's had enough time for the broodiness to stick.

Back
Top Bottom