Recommendations for poop boards/trays for under roost

Chicken people are so resourceful! Love all of this.

I'm spoiled by my walk-in coop. But I have seen folx use the water heater trays and trays for under appliances with much success. I have trays I built out of scrap wood with a little lip I made from ripping old 2x4s. I have pdz in them and scoop them out daily. I can also lift the whole thing out to clean come time to do a whole-coop clean out. Super easy!
20181120_150230.jpg

But I don't see why you couldn't do something similar in yours with flat trays. Wood would be heavy if you needed to remove them. Plastic/rubber would be easier.

Let us know what you use! Gorgeous coop, btw.

Chicken people are so resourceful! Love all of this.

I'm spoiled by my walk-in coop. But I have seen folx use the water heater trays and trays for under appliances with much success. I have trays I built out of scrap wood with a little lip I made from ripping old 2x4s. I have pdz in them and scoop them out daily. I can also lift the whole thing out to clean come time to do a whole-coop clean out. Super easy!
View attachment 1790135
But I don't see why you couldn't do something similar in yours with flat trays. Wood would be heavy if you needed to remove them. Plastic/rubber would be easier.

Let us know what you use! Gorgeous coop, btw.
Thank you!! Lots of good ideas, I agree. Definitely leaning toward something lightweight and either plastic or rubber. Will see what I can find locally. We just moved them into the coop with their brooder setup this weekend and they're adapting so far. Not everyone is ready to be completely off heat overnight yet, but we were kind of done with the brooder in our foyer.

Not everyone is ready to be completely off heat overnight yet, but we were kind of done with the brooder in our foyer.
:lau
It does get old quick! Our brooder was in our dining room (we usually eat in the kitchen). Oh, the noise and dust!

Now hubby says he kind of missed the "peep peeps." Should I tell him I'm getting more in a couple of weeks???
Lol!
:gig

:lau
It does get old quick! Our brooder was in our dining room (we usually eat in the kitchen). Oh, the noise and dust!

Now hubby says he kind of missed the "peep peeps." Should I tell him I'm getting more in a couple of weeks???
Lol!
:gig
I was over it when half ours escaped the brooder and crapped all over our house! At least it was wood floors...:rant

We put them all in the coop at once and just brought the small ones in overnight since it was still cold at night.

I'm outfitting my recently delivered coop with the essentials before my first flock is old enough to move in. I'm planning to put a tray/board of some kind under the roosting area in the coop for easy cleaning - seems like a common practice. What kinds of trays (purchased? DIY constructed?) are you using. Trying to determine the best solution for my coop. it's a 6x6 - roosting area is about 60" wide x maybe 24-30" deep. Obviously one nice, perfect, right sized tray would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for sharing your solutions or sources!
I read an article from Louisiana that used meal trays that were used and he bought them from Craig's List. The article was in relation to the coop he built. Ladies Eight

Can I ask a question on this thread rather than starting my own?
I cannot find PDZ anywhere in my town. What are some other options?
Also, how long do the chicks need food and water inside the coop (overnight)? My chicks have freedom to come and go from the run and coop. They have food and water outside and inside but at what point can I just have it outside?

Can I ask a question on this thread rather than starting my own?
I cannot find PDZ anywhere in my town. What are some other options?
Also, how long do the chicks need food and water inside the coop (overnight)? My chicks have freedom to come and go from the run and coop. They have food and water outside and inside but at what point can I just have it outside?
I don't have the ans to the PDZ question other than Amazon, and I think they are kind of high priced on that. Have you tried googling it? As for food & water in the coop, I've never put food and water in the coop. My girls have access to the run at all times and I make sure they have food & water in the run. They also have food & water in their yard. They don't have access to the yard until I let them out of their run in the mornings. That way, I'm sure they always have access to food & water, even if left in the run, but don't have to take up space in the coop. Besides, my coop isn't a walk in and there is no place to put food & water where it wouldn't make a mess or become a mess. So, in my case, the coop is strictly for sleeping and laying. The chickens seem to be more than happy with the arrangement. BTW, you might get more help on the PDZ if you do start your own thread on another forum.

I don't have the ans to the PDZ question other than Amazon, and I think they are kind of high priced on that. Have you tried googling it? As for food & water in the coop, I've never put food and water in the coop. My girls have access to the run at all times and I make sure they have food & water in the run. They also have food & water in their yard. They don't have access to the yard until I let them out of their run in the mornings. That way, I'm sure they always have access to food & water, even if left in the run, but don't have to take up space in the coop. Besides, my coop isn't a walk in and there is no place to put food & water where it wouldn't make a mess or become a mess. So, in my case, the coop is strictly for sleeping and laying. The chickens seem to be more than happy with the arrangement. BTW, you might get more help on the PDZ if you do start your own thread on another forum.
Thank you!!

I use a Poop Hammock.
I have never had to scrape poop off the walls of the coop.
Since it is made out of cheap landscape fabric I can rinse it off during the warm weather.
Generally I replace it every couple of months I just sewed a loop on both ends and inserted a dowel to support it.
I fill it with bedding and use a kitty litter scoop to remove the poop daily.

i-NJx6KXc.jpg

i-tkH4MCH.jpg
That's a beautiful coop!

Back
Top Bottom